Penn International knob replacement 80's vintage

Started by Whit, June 19, 2021, 02:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Looking to upgrade the handle knobs on a couple Penn internationals, one a 30SW and one a 50SW probably from the 1980's or so..   These are the knobs that attach to the handle blank with a phillips screw and are the next generation up in shape from the ones with the two tier ("butterscotch?") shape that are riveted on.    These knobs are plastic (I think) and smooth surfaced semi oval shape and weighted so if you let go of the knob it will always return to a vertical position.   To lubricate the knob there is a small pinhole in the knob. Looks like it is an insert made of aluminum (but painted black to match) with a pinhole in the center that wedges into the body of the knob itself and hides the screw underneath.

My issue is removing the little insert so I can access the screw head underneath.  Tried prying it out with a thin version of an ice pick but no luck.  Do not want to light it up with a flame cuz that might ruin the knob itself, which is still in perfectly good shape, I just want to upgrade it.

Any thoughts on how to remove the insert?

Thanks!

nelz

If you're willing to damage the insert, you could twist a screw into it so you have something to grab onto, then carefully pull it out.

alantani

whit, i have 5/0 grips and original stock penn 30 and 50 handle arms, if you wish. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Whit

Thanks Friends!

The screw trick worked and i am GTG!

Whit

nelz