Penn 24-56 Crank — Question

Started by foakes, June 24, 2021, 08:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Found this at the bottom of a box of old parts —

No part # — so obviously pre 1950.

Likely a 24-56 three-position early power handle —

However, whoever did the offset bend — certainly did a good job.

I have never been able to do this as good without the chrome flaking.

The knob is an unusual swirl of green and butterscotch.

When cranking hard on a large fighting fish — the offset keeps the torque and a better rod control towards centerline.

This unusual color reminds me of some of the rarer knobs that I have gotten courtesy of Ted.

What is a good reel to install this on?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

foakes

Due to the offset, John —

It contacts the Eccentric Lever on the 130 Sailfisher — and also on a Squidder 145.

I might try a 209 when I get a chance.

The sleeve is a little higher — and the sideplate tapers inward towards the outside edge.  Might clear the lever.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Fred, those offset handles were most commonly used on small Penns (259, 99, Squidder, etc.) with transmissions (Reel Deal, Powerhouse, TeePee) where clearance was not an issue.

foakes

Never thought of that, Randy —

Makes sense.

I have had a few Reel Deal conversions on reels, as well as some new kits over the years.

Thank You!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

alantani

i thought it was an "aftermarket" modification!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!