Carrying a rod on a bicycle

Started by JasonGotaProblem, June 29, 2021, 02:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I recently bought a bike (now that I have a garage) and I'm considering hopping on it to hit some of the lakes that are too close for the car (and generally don't have a parking lot) but just out of fat guy walking distance.

Now I used to ride a bike with a rod all the time as a kid, and if it comes down to it there's nothing stopping me from doing the traditional "just hold the rod in one hand while you're riding" technique. Thats a tried and true approach.

But is there a better way? I've seen a few bike mount rod holders online, but has anyone used them? Are they an improvement over the old fashioned approach? Is there a door #3 I'm missing?

Btw it's a mountain bike. It'll mostly be used on pavement, but tampa "pavement" is, well, let's just say those quotation marks are warranted.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

thorhammer

piece of PVC and some aluminum flat stock from HD for a bracket. they make flat pack carriers for mountain bikes for your cooler. bend up a bracket and bolt or rivet the PVC to it. then you have a rod holder and spot for tackle bag / cooler. no way i'm pedaling anywhere south of Manitoba without a beer cooler.

philaroman

actually, since you love projects, you get TWO THREE!!!  ;D
1) make FAT tube appropriate for bike & existing 2-pc rod
2) make 3-pc/4-pc rod to fit same tube
3) make/buy something for wife, before she hocks ALL your toys

Wompus Cat

Plus you can clip your Catch to   the  Frame  like we used to do with Playing Cards  and let the Spokes
De-Scale them on the way home .
Be sure to take them off the Stringer and or Rod .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Breadfan

I did this for a couple of years. Get a PCV rod holder with the flared end, about 16-20 inches and I just zip tied it to my front forks. Just have to watch out for the trees. Strap a fanny pack onto the front of the handles bars and you have a place for tackle. Add a drink holder to the bottom bar and you are good to go.

philaroman

Ron Jones

I put a rack on the rear of the bike, and installed rod holders on the rear uprights. That way the rods stay out of your way. Makes a great day fishing.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oc1

foakes

I have a good client and friend back East — this is what he has done for years...

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

That's really really hard to argue with Fred :)

Midway Tommy

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on June 29, 2021, 02:00:14 PM
I recently bought a bike (now that I have a garage) and I'm considering hopping on it to hit some of the lakes that are too close for the car

??? As the old Confucius saying goes, "Man who ride bicycle run like Hell to give A_$$ rest".  :D :D :D Think Moped, you won't have to run quite so hard.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Breadfan

Quote from: foakes on June 29, 2021, 08:16:55 PM
I have a good client and friend back East — this is what he has done for years...

Best, Fred

I like it!

oc1

Quote from: foakes on June 29, 2021, 08:16:55 PM
I have a good client and friend back East
Cape Cod Canal.  It's a thing there.

JasonGotaProblem

Some good ideas here. And it's hard to argue with Fred's proof of concept. I need to get on the dang thing. Been too busy unpacking to do anything extracurricular.

...though I did pretend I stayed 20 min later at work than I did so I could go throw a few casts yesterday. No bites but it felt good to get a line wet again.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.