Back on the Assembly Line

Started by foakes, June 30, 2021, 07:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Finished up 2 weeks of sorting and packing up 2000 pounds of reels for shipment out of state.

Replaced the radiator, fan clutch, thermostat — on the Tacoma 4X4.

Removed the axle & springs on the utility trailer — got a new assembly — haven't installed it yet — need to cut and remove the old mounts — and weld the new ones in place.  The new assembly was as close as I could get — but is off by 1" — which wouldn't typically cause a problem — but I only expect to do this once — so it might as well be right.

Finished up weed-eating 2.5 acres of brush.

Finished up hauling and splitting timber for firewood.

Finished up pulling additional brush & manzanita to extend our defensible fire margin to 130'.

Finished up sorting a truckload of DQ parts — and I am heading South early Friday morning at 3:00 AM for another half load.

Now, back to the client reels —

Lined up and ready to roll — 22 on the bench, 21 down below in the left box for a family wanting restoration of a fallen brother's reels to spread among family members — DQ's & Penns, 28 for another client in the right box, 32 in the hallway waiting to enter the shop.

I can generally do 6 to 8 a day — depending on complexity, issues, and my mind-set.  Fortunately, there are no issues with trying to locate or send off for parts — got everything I need — ready and numbered.

For me a complete service means — initial inspection of functions, disassemble, ultrasonic cleaning of all parts, burnishing and polishing of all parts, replacing any worn or broken parts with new, reassembly, lubrication, micro-tuning, re-checking all functions, bagging & shipping back.  Painting is clients choice — and that adds time to the equation

Got some tunes on the stereo, the ceiling fan running, plenty of water, and plenty of rest.

Got the scanners hot and dialed in — fire working 15 miles East of us in Blue Canyon.  400 acres, lightning caused, 10% containment.  Bombers are lining up over our house from the Air-Tac base at FAT for their 15 mile run to the East.  Hopefully, they will get a handle on this one.  It is burning towards the black footprint of last years 380K acre Creek Fire.  And there are bull-dozed breaks in place also.  Should be somewhat controllable.

Got family coming up for 3 days during the 4th.

Back to work...

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Fred if you could just find a Hobby to take up your Spare Time ........ ;D

Hope that Fire is kicked in the Butt quickly.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Hardy Boy

Well we are happy to see that you are not just sitting around doing nothing and resting on your laurels !! Good organized work as always.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

foakes

3 spinners done — Penn 4200SS, Mitchell 300, & a DQ 265 Microlite.

Now I'll start on (4) Penn conventionals — after doing a Penn 506HS P21XN for Wayne.

Just need to put them back together — that is the easy part — they are already cleaned and polished with new drags ready and waiting.

Wayne's just needed a once over along with a couple of minor things like greasing the bearings and freshening up the 4 drag stack with Cal's.  So it was quick and easy.  Just a basic pre-fish service to insure no surprises on the water.

Fire is being held at 400 acres — at this point — and containment has increased from 10% to 25%.

Even though we are more than likely OK — it brings back a wariness and unsure nervousness after last year.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rothmar2

Have to hand it to you Fred, you sure know pack a lot into a day.
Inspirational!

El Pescador

Quote from: foakes on June 30, 2021, 10:23:13 PM
Now I'll start on (4) Penn conventionals ... after doing a Penn 506HS P21XN for Wayne.

Wayne's just needed a once over along with a couple of minor things like greasing the bearings and freshening up the 4 drag stack with Cal's.  So it was quick and easy.  Just a basic pre-fish service to ensure no surprises on the water.

Best, Fred

Fred, The Penn 506HS P21XN is from Gfish just beause I enjoy fishing with PURPLE REELS!!!!! ::)

And your review of the internals of the 506HS is spot on, just as Gfish wrote in his note to me.

And it sounds like the original bearings needed just a bit of grease and they are back on the job.

I'm doing this Pre-Service for a Oct. 2-11 Trip to a remote fishing camp on the Baja Peninsula halfway between La Paz and Loreto - the small locale is San Evaristo.  Not much there but FISHING and COLD BEER Drinking!!!  

And in light of the disastrous lack of REEL planning for one of our own, and an administrator at that (Dominick!!!! - Sorry old boy, it is an easy finger to point at you!!!!!)

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=33494.msg393580#msg393580

IF... I lost a fish of a lifetime, I would rather say the hook gave way, or the rod snapped, or the line broke, BUTT for reel issues shame on all of us - Those words from Alan for sure!!!!

So, thank you Fred for the once over, and I know Gfish's Penn 506HS PURPLE TIB Frame reel will be armed and ready for any battle on the oceanfront.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

reelrepair123

your'e amazing  fred, where do you get all your energy from?  your'e one of a kind, take care my friend.   harryk

Wompus Cat

Hey Wayne you know Fred paints all his Refurbished Reels Black with his New Powder Coating process   don't you   ::)   lol

foakes

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 01, 2021, 05:22:22 PM
Hey Wayne you know Fred paints all his Refurbished Reels Black with his New Powder Coating process   don't you   ::)   lol

Right, Henry —

However, Wayne doesn't need to be concerned — I have a brand new 2 lb. bag of purple powder.

Just shoot 'em & sort 'em...

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

El Pescador

WOMPUS!!!

YOU'RE KILL'n ME, MAN!!!!!

I have a nephew living west of Dallas, TX about an hour's drive, LUV to meet you next time in the Lone Star state!!!

Wayne

foakes

Just checked, it is actually Black Cherry Metallic —

Guess I'll need to order some Deep Purple just for Wayne's reels.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Wompus Cat

Quote from: El Pescador on July 01, 2021, 06:01:54 PM

WOMPUS!!!

YOU'RE KILL'n ME, MAN!!!!!

I have a nephew living west of Dallas, TX about an hour's drive, LUV to meet you next time in the Lone Star
state!!!

Come on Down ,I am about an hour from Dullus at Lake Whitney and if ya got time and one of Boats s runnin we can chase some Sandies or these Damn Stripers..they stuck in here.
Wayne

El Pescador

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 01, 2021, 06:24:15 PM
Come on Down ,I am about an hour from Dullus at Lake Whitney and if ya got time and one of Boats s runnin we can chase some Sandies or these Damn Stripers..they stuck in here.
Wayne

WOMPAS!!!

PLAN ON IT!!!   And I'm always on the hunt for the best BBQ in the area. 

Wayne

Ruffy

Fred, how many hours are in your day??? I only have 24 last time I checked and it always seems impossible to get all my jobs done, let alone all the stuff you seem to achieve  :o

Cheers,
Andrew