Bronson/Coxe 1115L

Started by Paul Roberts, July 06, 2021, 02:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

Not too many Bronson/Coxe reels on the site here it seems. I kinda like them, from my freshwater collection, and have acquired a few saltwater models that, as I have time, will post.

This one, the 1115L is listed in B/C catalogs from '48-'53, as a 150yd "light surf-casting" reel with freespool, Bakelite spool, and no internal drag. Not much cleaning up to do in this one as it's darn simple: No drag washers, no AR to attend to. The main gear being a solid chunk of brass. And this one's in rather minty condition. Apparently, she didn't see much fishing time. Internally, some dry grease, and not a lot of it.

Important parts polished up nicely. Easy on the lubes: Synthetic SuperLube grease for the gears and SL PTFE oil for the shafts. She spins nicely and quietly. Kinda neat having a 1950's reel darn close to the way it would have been out of the box. I hope to put it to work and slime it up someday. :) I may make an aesthetic change though, to a 1930's wood-knobbed handle if I can find one that will fit. Not so keen on the current white plastic knobs.

I have a particular interest in DD, thumb-controlled, casting reels. This has now carried over into my new saltwater "collection", and may prove masochistic on the water. Guess I'll have to decide just what I'm willing to cast to! :)

oc1

Really nice reel.  I have a thing for casting reels with freespool clutch but no AR or drag.  I missed that one though.

The clutch is unusual.  Is it some sort of yoke and ramp to disengage the pinion?

I suspect it is too large for my needs but if it is ever convenient, please measure the side plate diameter (roughly).

What is the width of that square hole in the handle.  It may be compatible with some other brands.

Oh, and what is the spool made of?.... please

milne

Agree,
That's a beautiful looking reel......

Col

Wompus Cat

Quoteauthor=Paul Roberts link=topic=33532.msg394106#msg394106 date=1625537134]
Not too many Bronson/Coxe reels on the site here it seems. I kinda like them, from my freshwater collection, and have acquired a few saltwater models that, as I have time, will post.

I would say not many post about them but there are folks that have them  ;D

Here is  a link to some info on ol Joe and His Reels.
Some attribute Mr. Coxe as the inventor of the Star Drag and other innovative lil do dads.
And there is NO Signature ever misinterpreted,misunderstood,mispronounced ,messed up than  than his !
         Link to Ed's antiquefihing reels site        
Jaleoxe Reels
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Paul Roberts

Steve,

The clutch is unusual.  Is it some sort of yoke and ramp to disengage the pinion?

I don't know clutches well -yet! But yes it acts as a "ramp" that lifts to disengage the pinion. Same general design as on the 325L I just wrestled with, but a bit larger and of a different metal (steel?).

I suspect it is too large for my needs but if it is ever convenient, please measure the side plate diameter (roughly).
Of course: Plates I measure at 2-7/8". Pillars are 1-11/16". I'd weigh the reel but my scale is packed away. The ads I can find don't list much data, although I think I've seen that somewhere. Guessing it's around 13oz.? It would make for a large FW reel.

What is the width of that square hole in the handle.  It may be compatible with some other brands.

I measure 5/16", both the hole and sprocket.

Oh, and what is the spool made of?.... please
Bakelite

Henry, thanks for the link. I've been able to dig up a fair amount on Joe Coxe and his contributions, his collaborations with EJ McMahon (Bronson founder). And good info/data on the FW reels. But less, so far, on the SW reels.
Posted on: Today at 02:05:34 AMPosted by: Paul Roberts

Wompus Cat

QuoteOh, and what is the spool made of?.... please
Bakelite

Nope is Plastic.

Wompus Cat

And Steve , J.A.Coxe made a bunch of diff size reels .
Will post a few L8TR and maybe a few other diff reels with diff .Drags/Casting functions for Mr. Roberts to Gander at.

Paul Roberts

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 06, 2021, 04:39:46 PM
QuoteOh, and what is the spool made of?.... please
Bakelite

Nope is Plastic.

Ad's say Bakelite plates. I assumed spool too. However there is this from ORCA:

J.A. Coxe "No.1115L" by Bronson/Coxe
One of a whole new group of Coxe salt water models introduced in 1948. The No.1155L was a 150 yd. economy free spool reel without the star drag. It had the dual handle grips and the letter "L" suffix in the model number, which meant it had the lightweight Bakelite spool. These would sell through 1953. Shown below is a nice example and the original box. The last photo shows the original Bronson/Coxe 1948 catalog listing.

Here's that catalog listing:

Wompus Cat

Ok my instructions in the Box of my Reel says Bakelite also sooooo  how bout we call it Thinn Bakelite  ;D 

Paul Roberts

Notice the paragraph reads:
"End plates are molded of the finest bakelite with new light weight bakelite spools."  ::)

Paul Roberts

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 06, 2021, 05:17:56 PM
And Steve , J.A.Coxe made a bunch of diff size reels .
Will post a few L8TR and maybe a few other diff reels with diff .Drags/Casting functions for Mr. Roberts to Gander at.
Nice!