Bronson/Coxe 1420L 200yd “Squidder"

Started by Paul Roberts, July 08, 2021, 12:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

From ORCA:
J.A. Coxe "No.1420L SQUIDDING REEL" by Bronson/Coxe
"This is the last of the "new" models for 1948. The No.1420L was a 200 yd. high-grade model similar to the (1415L), but with a wider spool and a single torpedo grip. Coxe referred to these as "Squidding" reels, with "Squidder" stamped under the foot and the box marked as such. They also came with an extra spool. These were seen last in the 1954 catalog..."

Another of the "new" series for 1948 I picked up for the Cross-Bolt spool axis that casts so well in the Coxe freshwater reels I have. She's in fine shape, and after take-down, cleaning, polishing the important stuff, and lubing, it operates smoothly. However, this model is advertised as having the "silent ratchet" AR. My reel clicks upon reeling. It also has the fine wire AR spring that my older 325L has; Possibly an early 1420L with the old style spring? My 1415L has a heavier AR spring of a different design, and that AR is silent.

I wonder if this reel is called "Squidder" in competition with the popular Penn Squidder models? Penn's Squidder first appeared in 1939 and had a 70+ year run. Still pretty popular today! The B/C version apparently didn't enjoy such a run. Then again, not many reels did.

Donnyboat

Gee Paul, that looks great for its age, thanks for posting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Paul Roberts

Hi, Don. Yeah, it seems if these old reels weren't totally abused/neglected, they hold up well. Simple designs and quality materials. Not a whole lot that can go wrong, and many of the things that do, can often be fixed. Sure is a lot of fun. Cheers.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Paul Roberts

Yes, especially after the work. I have yet to purchase an old reel that had really been taken down and fully cleaned and lubed.

Donnyboat

Yes Paul, restoring can be so rewarding, its nice to have 2 of them, then you can fish with the rough looking one & keep the other in your cabinet, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Paul Roberts

I'm planning to fish with mine. As long as they can be restored to 'fishable' condition, performing as best they can, I'm happy. And I can leave the really fine collectible ones to others.