TLD20 Belleville upgrade

Started by cathauler65, January 16, 2012, 06:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathauler65

Can anyone help? With the upgrades to my TLD20 as per Alan's tutorial I can still only get @11Lb at strike & @18lb at full.

The factory belleville configuration of |()() on my reel measured 4.54mm against the stated 4.61mm in the tutorial. in the configuration (())) I've got 4.61mm against the 4.52mm in the tutorial.

Alan, the bellevilles you sent me are each around 1.16mm thick; the ones in my reel are 0.99mm and seem less 'cupped'.

No problem for me to get all new bellevilles but surely this should not affect the top drag achievable, just how progressive the drag is?? Am I right in thinking that flattened bellevilles should make the drag ramp  up quicker?

SoCalAngler

Have you done a drag plate upgrade? Tib still makes them but I got one from Cal for my 30II before he was "asked" to stop making them. It increased my drag pressure quite a bit.

Here is a link to the Tib drag plate
www.tiburonfishingreels.com/shimano-tld-2-speed-reels

alantani

and you shimmed the drag pressure plate with the big stainless steel washer, right?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

cathauler65

First - sorry for also posting this in the TLD20/25 tutorial threa - this post wasnt visible after i made it & wasn't sure if it had worked.

The reel has carbontex drag  but the standard Shimano drag plate.

Alan, yes the shim washer has been fitted to the drag plate assembly, still a little play in there though even with the original cupped washer in the 'down' position. Should I try and fit a second of your shim washers in there?

Dismissed

I just finished going through my TLD 25's and put them on a scale last night.  All new carbontex, Alan's shim washer, original drag plate.  I compared 3 ways, with the following outcomes:
-Stock canvas washer, stock belleville config l(())    16-17 lbs @ strike before losing freespool
-Carbontex washer, stock belleville config      24-25 lbs @ strike
-Carbontex washer, extra belleville to replace flat washers, config ((())    16 lbs @ strike

Now, these are with 3 different reels, so there definitely could be some difference there.  I'll switch the one with the extra belleville back to stock tonight and see what it does. 

BTW if you didn't buy the Kolekar handles from Alan, you're missing out! 

cathauler65

Interesting that the stock configuration seems to have produced a higher drag than the modified layout. Let me know how you get on with your further tests.

alantani

yeah, i had those bellevilles made up custom.  shimano was out.  fiddle with it and see.  i have a few stock shimano bellevilles left somewhere.  if needed, i can send you one of those.  alan

cathauler65

called Felindres (Shimano's UK parts distributor) today as I thought I'd replace all bellevilles in all 4 reels - they had all of 10 in stock.

I also wanted two graphite rod clamp assemblies complete with all bolts as two of my reels don't have them. They reckon its an 'obsolete' part. That can't be right for a still-current reel can it?

Alan, can you still get them in the US? If so, I'll get them from you with some additional bellevilles. Let me know

alantani

i had 300 made up in stainless with the same specs (or so i thought) as the stock shimano bellevilles.  they are 25 cents each.  i still have 150 left and can send you a couple of dozen if you wish.  alan

cathauler65

Thanks Alan, put those aside for me, are you able to source the graphite rod clamp assemblies also?

alantani

i think i have 3 or 4 clamps left.

cathauler65

I'll take two of those as well plus four more drag plate shim washers just to be on the safe side. Let me know what I owe you; you have my address from previous order??