Nickel Silver Tarnish/Corrosion

Started by Paul Roberts, July 19, 2021, 04:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

I recently attempted to remove the corrosion and "tarnish" (dark stain) from the pillars of a 1930's Nickel Silver reel. I used lemon juice (lacking vinegar on hand) and 0000 steel wool. Turns out the NS on this reel is plated on. Beneath appears to be brass. The corroded pillars are now a shiny brass. Thinking I should have left the tarnish and called it "patina". I'm guessing I was simply too aggressive with the steel wool? I could say "live and learn" but... we do have the internet nowadays!

Any suggestions/comments on removing the tarnish and corrosion in NS? I ask -and attempted to clean up those pillars- after seeing a thread in which someone did a marvelous job of bringing a corroded NS reel back to surprising beauty. I'm taken with these NS reels and will end up with more. I'd like to know at what point I consider a reel too far gone, or when it should be left to its current state of "patina".

Before and after (Spool spindle was not plated to begin with):

PacRat

Yep, the steel wool did it in. When this happens you can just polish the brass and you will have something unique (and shiny). With that said; I just saw a video about nickle plating on youtube and it didn't look too complex of difficult. I'm sorry I can't cite the video as I was just tumbling down the youtube rabbit hole when I was it. It was a rusty revolver restoration to the best of my recollection.
There is one other technique that I know of but can't remember the name of the product. I used it for silver plating large copper electrical buses. It's a powder (sort of like comet cleanser). You rub it on with a damp towel and viola...you get silver plating. When I used it (1980s) it had a matte finish but I never attempted to polish it. This is a very thing coat but it was also very silver in contrast to the copper. It seamed like magic. Try googling 'Cool-Amp Silver Plating Powder'.

-Mike

oc1

There a couple of threads here somewhere about nickel plating.  It's tricky, requires some harsh chemicals and is probably not worth it for a one-off.

I don't think the reel looks so bad now.

Paul Roberts

Thanks, Mike. I contacted Cool-Amp about durability of the finish and the response was that it creates a bond to the metal and won't wash off. It is a thin coat though as you said and can be scratched off. The stuff is not cheap either.

Steve, I agree. These are old reels and I actually like that fact. However, given the choice I think I'd have preferred the tarnish to the exposed brass. Not a big deal. So far, this is the reel I'm most excited to fish with.

oc1

Quote from: Paul Roberts on July 19, 2021, 08:29:58 PM
the reel I'm most excited to fish with.
Did you clean and adjust the drag washer?

foakes

Just look for a donor reel with good posts — then clean them up with NevrDull.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Paul Roberts

Quote from: oc1 on July 19, 2021, 09:38:52 PM
Quote from: Paul Roberts on July 19, 2021, 08:29:58 PM
the reel I'm most excited to fish with.
Did you clean and adjust the drag washer?
It's been torn down, made squeaky clean, important parts burnished, and lubed. There is no drag, being a DD reel. Unless you mean my thumb? :)

That spool just spins in FS. Hand spinning yields 12sec, and cranking it up and then popping into FS gives 24sec. I'm guessing it'll cast pretty well, with proper thumbing.

Wompus Cat

QuoteIt's been torn down, made squeaky clean, important parts burnished, and lubed. There is no drag, being a DD reel. Unless you mean my thumb?

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oc1

Quote from: Paul Roberts on July 20, 2021, 12:22:48 AM
There is no drag, being a DD reel. Unless you mean my thumb? :)
The drag is built into the handle.  Hold the handle and try it.  It was usually a Pflueger add-on/accessory.  They are called a Pflueger Cub or something.

Paul Roberts

Oh yes. Already'd forgot about the Cub handle. Not planning on using it. Doesn't seem terribly useful without AR, and not being able to adjust it quickly.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Paul Roberts on July 20, 2021, 10:12:42 AM
Oh yes. Already'd forgot about the Cub handle. Not planning on using it. Doesn't seem terribly useful without AR, and not being able to adjust it quickly.
back in the Day.

You Gotta Try this  Drag! It works rather well and was the Cat's Meow .
Should you decide to scrap it anyway I would be  a Buyer .

If you want A/R on that era Pflueger you need to find an Oceanic .
Here is one of mine with the Williams Drag .

Paul Roberts

I like the Cub on the reel, but wasn't planning on using it. May try it. I'm a back-reeler with spinning gear so that's my penchant anyway. That might change with some saltwater fish though!

Is that 2nd lever the AR on your Oceanic?

Wompus Cat

Yep  Second Lever is the A/R .It is Beveled  on one side and Spring Loaded so it moves in when Retrieving and will lock the Handle when you try to turn  it back . To turn it off you pull out and lodge it in a detent .
Very Crude but works .

Paul Roberts

Nifty. I assume it once had a metal, rubber, or Bakelite knob?

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Paul Roberts on July 20, 2021, 04:55:58 PM
Nifty. I assume it once had a metal, rubber, or Bakelite knob?

Don't think so as it is Rounded and has nuttin as far as a Ridge to hold any sort of Knob.
This is a SOLID OL' REEL and Bet it could tell some Stories!