Zebco Spincast Reel

Started by tarpon one, July 27, 2021, 03:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarpon one

Yes you read it right, Zebco, don't laugh.
Many years ago I became a Big Brother to a little boy who wanted a fishing rod and reel and I bought him a Zebco Red Rhino outfit. 20 years later that rod and reel is in the corner of my garage and I figure I'd clean, lubricate and donate to a needy kid somewhere. The reel has two plastic drag washers that have absolutely disintegrated that I need to replace and Zebco no longer supplies parts for that reel. I can't imagine Dawn at Smooth Drag would have anything and carbon fiber drag washers would cost more than this reel is worth. Any ideas on how I can McGyver something?

Breadfan

Nothing wrong with a Zebco. It has starting many boys on their fishing adventures, myself included. I have the high dollar one on a light 5.5ft rod that I use for trout and pan fish and it works flawlessly. The cheap ones are cheap, but they get you started. Good luck in finding the drag washers, I am sure something can be done. How big are the washers you need?

tarpon one

Quote from: Breadfan on July 27, 2021, 03:29:12 PM
Nothing wrong with a Zebco. It has starting many boys on their fishing adventures, myself included. I have the high dollar one on a light 5.5ft rod that I use for trout and pan fish and it works flawlessly. The cheap ones are cheap, but they get you started. Good luck in finding the drag washers, I am sure something can be done. How big are the washers you need?
Yea this is a little reel with a big history. Not only got a little boy fishing but got me fishing with him. 20 years later, two offshore boats and a captains license later it's time to pass this gem on to another kid. I'll try to post a picture of the drag washer if I can figure it out.

Yellowbank

Tackle service probably has them, that's where I get my Zebco parts

Wompus Cat

Got you covered .
It will be a day or 2 to get them out just p/m me your addy . N/C
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Midway Tommy

Go to your local hardware store or building supply and match them up with some Teflon or Mylar plumbing washers. I have a whole container full of varying sizes I use all the time as drag washers. Sometime they need to be trimmed but most can usually be adapted easily. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 27, 2021, 05:30:39 PM
Got you covered .

Thanks, Henry!

Henry (wompus cat) is now the North American Distributor for Zebco.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

tarpon one

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 27, 2021, 05:30:39 PM
Got you covered .
Great news and THANKS. PM sent.

tarpon one

Great group of guys. Thanks!

thorhammer

Goodonya Tarpon 1; I'm lining up some reels now for some good kids in the hood- three are Zebco's, sent to me by a member for this purpose (thanks again Bill, and also Greg who PM'd with an offer to help!).

FWIW- sometimes when I'm at a loss on drags for old reels, lighter ones anyway, I will cut them out of felt or leather. No, they wont last or be as smooth as carbo fiber, but the are for practical purposes free, easy to be had and in many cases, mimic if not directly replace the material / capability of what was there to begin with. Oil them up and they work pretty well.

John

tarpon one

Quote from: thorhammer on July 27, 2021, 07:26:49 PM
Goodonya Tarpon 1; I'm lining up some reels now for some good kids in the hood- three are Zebco's, sent to me by a member for this purpose (thanks again Bill, and also Greg who PM'd with an offer to help!).

FWIW- sometimes when I'm at a loss on drags for old reels, lighter ones anyway, I will cut them out of felt or leather. No, they wont last or be as smooth as carbo fiber, but the are for practical purposes free, easy to be had and in many cases, mimic if not directly replace the material / capability of what was there to begin with. Oil them up and they work pretty well.

John
Thanks John
I was going to try and make them out of the lid from a yogurt container. Wasn't sure how to cut the center hole but looks like my problem is solved. With drag washers on both sides of the spool looks like this is what Accurate must have copied. LOL

happyhooker

Looking forward to a happy ending for this story.

When you say "Zebco", most people think of the plasticky spincasters of the past (and the present), but I feel comfortable saying that some of the old Zebco spincasters, as well as older spinning reels, were not only decent, but actually pretty good.

Frank

dlrider

Quote from: thorhammer on July 27, 2021, 07:26:49 PM

John

I've found a light application of reel grease makes them better than oiled.

oc1

Quote from: happyhooker on July 27, 2021, 11:42:53 PM
Zebco spincasters, as well as older spinning reels, were not only decent, but actually pretty good.

These days, it sort of an insult to have not been taken over by Pure Fishing.