JM Carbon Fibre Parts: Update 3

Started by Clem, January 17, 2012, 09:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clem

Hey all,

For those who were waiting, the shorter length handle is now available..its about 1.5mm shorter than the factory item (PE3/PE4) - 83.5mm shaft center to shaft center and 10mm shorter than the previous carbon handle.

Also updated the pictures showing the larger carbon washers I have been using

and the Carbon drag plates I have been testing - Haven't had any problems to date and fished them maybe 10 times since they went in...will see how they go overtime..

I have finished the Ti handle shaft (same dims as the Stella SW 18/20k) - will post a pic and update to this post.

I also bought a couple of the GPA grips (from Protackle - 46mm) to try, feel to small for me - the JM full size knob as on my Stella feels better in the hand..anyway I'm going to use the shaft from the GPA knob on my EVA T-bar and see how that goes...will update with pics

Bryan Young

Wow, that's hotrodding at it's finest.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Clem

Update:

A few pics of Ti shaft - Designed this to take advantage of the many knobs and T-Bars made for the Stella. This is built to the same dims as the Stella 18/20K shaft (except the bottom end). I have made the bottom end a bit longer, this sits in the arm better (6mm dia, 4.5mm long, M3 thread)

As per the Stella, threaded to 2.5mm to allow the different shaft extensions to used (JM 45mm Knob etc) or without for GPA

broadway

Hey Clem,

Beautiful work! Are you trying to make the first floating reel? ... that thing is gonna be lighter than a bag of feathers (Ti shaft, carbon drag plate, handle arm)! I love this site for so many reasons, but I especially love the thinking outside the box by all the members that have contributed.  Keep it coming it's very impressive!
Thanks
Dom

Bryan Young

Hey Clem, are you going to start selling the arm shafts, and other inovative products?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Awesome Clem.
Been looking forward to your next installment and it certainly didn't disappoint.
Might have to save up for a JM now, just to take advantage of these great mods!
Inspirational stuff.
Cheers mate, Justin
PS Love the fact you shot the Ti bars on CF - nice touch.  ;)
Also x2 on Bryan's question.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

you are a bloody wiz clem.
would i be correct in assuming the reel is a lot quieter  now.

Clem

Hey guy's,

Thanks for the positive comments, It's been quite a learning curve doing this stuff but I've really enjoyed it..you need a bit of time to do it though...lots of trial and error.

In regard to the shafts I will workout what they actually cost and let you know..Wallace, the best way to describe the sound of the ratchet would be to say its a "softer" sound...its still there but the tone has changed...they are noisy those double dogs...hmmm something to look at?

There is a small amount of play in the lock washer/pinion...its on all the JM reels I have taken apart (and maybe others that share the same design) - its only small and its not felt when the reel is under load...the problem is in the design, it relies on an exact fit of the pinion/washer..I think a better option would be a lock washer that can also provide some downward pressure on the pinion..maybe by adding angle to the outside of the pinion and inside of the washer.....something to work on...I'm going to use the GPA 2 piece shaft on my EVA T-Bar...

I'm not sure who has any of the GPA knobs but I think the shaft is a little short (needs another 5-6mm) just to keep your fingers clear of the handle..(for those with big hands)..will post a pic..

Clem

Thought this was interesting.. From the Studio Ocean Mark site

When I first decided to try the carbon plates, I struggled to find any information regarding the heat generated when the drag is engaged - lots of forum theories but seemed dependent on the specific conditions and the properties of the items being used..size of reel etc

Based on the above test on the Stella the following would apply (approx only)

The test: 50m run - 10 sec - drag 10 kg - 20kph

= 20,000m divided by 3,600 sec = 5.5m per sec

10 sec run would see approx 55m off the reel - one crank on the big stella equates to 104cm @ 4.4:1

1 revolution of the spool approx 23cm

At a speed of 20kph the "spool" is turning almost 24 times a second...

I did a number of basic tests on the PE5 (for what I thought were normal fishing scenarios) It was difficult to get a exact answer but I don't believe the plates become "significantly" hot during the trials..at one stage we had only 1 screw in the cover so we could take it off quickly to feel the heat of the plates...

Long story short, I think that most people who are fishing with balanced gear and for what the reel is intended, needn't worry about their reel melting to a blob or what the temp rating is of the drag grease..more important would be to ensure that it operates smoothly..

My PE3 has the larger Carbontex washers and factory steel plates, the PE5N has the larger washer and CF plates...they both feel smoother than before, I believe due to the larger carbontex washers....I cant feel any notable difference between the 3 or 5. Whilst they both feel better than before it is most notable at the lighter settings..

redsetta

Great info Clem - and good to have it validated by actual testing.
Cheers mate, Justin.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer