Benzine

Started by Scattergun2570, August 09, 2021, 10:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

I just saw a video where a guy was servicing HT-100 drag washers,and he drops them into Benzine to soak.. is anyone here familiar with this ?

Keta

I use acetone to remove old grease.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Maxed Out

Sounds to me like a low budget service job. Why not just spend a couple bucks on new ht-100's ?? Maybe I'm missing something ¿¿¿
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

JasonGotaProblem

Also why use something so enthusiastically toxic? There are so many other solvents
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

thorhammer

If benzine is a product I'm not aware of, forgive me.

If he's using benzene, you shouldn't, and tell him to use acetone (chemically classified as the universal solvent, in any case). Benzene is very NOT good for you in terms of exposure- I'm an chemist by profession, among other things. We limit exposure to LT 10 PPM in personal care products- you don't want to be getting this on you or breathing it full strength, for certain.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Keta on August 09, 2021, 10:57:51 PM
I use acetone to remove old grease.

I had no knowledge of people cleaning carbon fiber washers..especially with a liquid product. I figured they would just rub them off on a rag or something,add more Cals..

oc1

They will become glazed over with what seems to be grease residue and carbon fiber dust.  A solvent and some scrubbing will rejuvenate the surface and bring back the tooth..

Wompus Cat

Pretty much EVERYTHING than cleans or penetrates,lubes ,or shines is Deadly when used incorrectly or exposed to a prolonged period these days .
Tap water is bad for you with all the Chemicals they use today to kill bacteria .

Hey   thorhammer
  When I took Chemistry back over 50 years ago H2-0 was designated as the
UNIVERSAL SOLVENT....   lol

We used carbon Tetra chloride and other Horrible chemicals all the time in un-ventilated  areas,no masks or  respirators were even thought of .
Having been in the Automotive Repair Business for many years  I have seen  way too many Health Issues related to the use of Chemicals and exposure to them as well as Deaths . Not even going to try and tell ya about Paint and Body work DEATH associations.
Bottom line is this stuff is cumulative and will get you over the years so except for squirtin a little wd-40 on a Door Hinge outside in a 50 mph  wind at your back always  wear Gloves and masks in a Well Ventilated Area  when using chemicals . Sure it is uncomfortable but I imagine a Coffin or Urn would be too and for a Much Longer Period.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Gfish

I have also heard of Auto-paint/body work related problems. It seems to start with a lack of resistance to exposure caused issues, that wasn't there when people first started using the stuff. Culminating in cancer and premature death.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 10, 2021, 01:32:47 PM
Tap water is bad for you with all the Chemicals they use today to kill bacteria .

yeah, and fluoridation is a commie plot

Scattergun2570

Quote from: oc1 on August 10, 2021, 09:21:53 AM
They will become glazed over with what seems to be grease residue and carbon fiber dust.  A solvent and some scrubbing will rejuvenate the surface and bring back the tooth..

And what would you use?

foakes

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on August 10, 2021, 08:30:08 PM
Quote from: oc1 on August 10, 2021, 09:21:53 AM

And what would you use?

For the best result, a credit card and computer to order new drags.

:D :D :D

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

Dawn Platinum 4X, hard toothbrush, elbow grease  ;D
if you have acetone, very nice for initial soak AND final rinse

alantani

gotta watch the spellings.  benzEne with an "E" has a chemical formula of C6H6 and is pretty toxic stuff.  we used it all the time in college chem classes in the 70's.  benzIne with an "I" is petroleum naptha and is nowhere near as bad.  petroleum naptha is still flammable has hell and is long term neurotoxin, but it's not as hepatotoxic and does not carry the risks of bone marrow suppression or cancer as benzene.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Ah, I knew there was a toxicologist in the family somewhere!

Hey Alan, I just moved to Los Gatos, who knew?