Super 270 Noise Fix

Started by Paul Roberts, August 13, 2021, 08:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

My 270 was a bit noisy. I added grease in places I'd previously oiled. And I if found that the main shaft "cam" was flopping a bit, contacting the body. A piece of sticky backed Velcro silenced that. Still a bit of rotor noise -that hollow growl- but it's acceptable. I may play around a bit more to see what I can do.

foakes

Good fix, Paul —

I generally just grease the slide liberally — all around — plus the inside of the sideplate where the (2) slide bars are.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

I have to ask , do you have the little washer under the worm gear   ?      That would help with the slop you had on the slider , instead of using Velcro.
   Main bearing noise or bail trip lever noise ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Paul Roberts

The little washer/shim (also mentioned in Sal's 270 tear-down post) is indeed missing in this reel. It's on my list for Fred. Bearing noise is most likely causing the growl. I lightly packed this one with a light  synthetic grease (Super Lube) and that did help some. I should pull it, clean and dry it, and listen to it. Might have to add that one to my parts list.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Paul Roberts on August 14, 2021, 04:06:40 AM
The little washer/shim (also mentioned in Sal's 270 tear-down post) is indeed missing in this reel. It's on my list for Fred. Bearing noise is most likely causing the growl. I lightly packed this one with a light  synthetic grease (Super Lube) and that did help some. I should pull it, clean and dry it, and listen to it. Might have to add that one to my parts list.

With any Bearing if you feel any thing while turning it then you NEED a NEW BEARING.
Short of completely removing the Seals if present and removing the Cage ,Balls and inner races then cleaning them with strong aggressive Chemicals then examining them under a microscope for pitting (do I need to expound further ) over fifty years of actually doing Mechanic work I have never had any lasting success with cleaning Ball nor Needle Bearings Success in that they don't make some kind of noise .Bushings YES Bearings NOPE....... This is more especially true if the Bearing has any type of load on it . If you get a New Bearing and it feels rough when turning it then take it back it ain't no Good.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

jgp12000

Paul,
Not to change the subject,but I would like to hear more about this super lube? I see Harbor freight has 3 oz for $6.99.
This is cheaper that my goto <reel butter> $9 bucks an ounce.

thanx,
James

foakes

Quote from: jgp12000 on August 14, 2021, 05:36:28 PM
Paul,
Not to change the subject,but I would like to hear more about this super lube? I see Harbor freight has 3 oz for $6.99.
This is cheaper that my goto <reel butter> $9 bucks an ounce.

thanx,
James

Super-Lube is an excellent grease for freshwater spinners — I and others, like Tommy, have used it for years.

Here is a better value — just use a cut-short bristle flux brush — or load it into a mini grease gun.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Paul Roberts

Thanks, Henry, for the bearing advice. So far, with good bearings in good condition I've been using a viscous oil. Cheaper or slightly worn ones may run a bit quieter with a light grease; Probably only a short term fix.

Hi, James. I started using SL after Tommy recommended it. Good to hear that Fred has been using it too. It's a synthetic with PTFE that is supposed to be stable and "adheres" to metal for tenacity, but not too heavy/viscous a consistency. I'm still experimenting but am taking the advice of those well ahead of me in this game. Viscosity matters to me especially for the direct drive casting reels I started my collecting with.

jgp12000

I ordered a tub yesterday from Amazon, arriving Tuesday. It should last me quite awhile.

Paul Roberts

Yes, for the amount each reel needs, that tub should go along ways.

foakes

Quote from: Paul Roberts on August 15, 2021, 03:13:07 PM
Yes, for the amount each reel needs, that tub should go along ways.

True...However, it is excellent for many other things around the house, shop, vehicles, and such.  Not just reels.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.