Penn Peer 309 Reel

Started by Dtlsr42, January 18, 2012, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dtlsr42

I have a 15 year + old Penn Peer 309 Reel. This last fall while releasing weighted line for trolling, the reel stopped on its' own.  I reeled in some line and then flipped the switch to allow line out. Sometimes it will work and sometimes I have to rewind several times in the same release cycle.  Since the first time this happened, it has been more frequent.  I have oiled and cleaned as to directions, but the problems is getting worse.  How can I correct this problem.  I am nervous about opening up the reel, as I fear I will mess it up more.    Any suggestions.   Thanks in advance    ???   Dtlsr42

alantani

the levelwind assembly could be damaged.  check that first.  take a look at the worm and see if there is any damage.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dtlsr42

Thank you.  I removed the worm.  In removing the lubricant from the grooves, I found an apparent burr  at one end of the worm shaft.  As I rotated the worm, still attached to the line guide, I observed the line guide would periodically catch on that damaged end of the worm.  I will order a replacement worm and line guide to ensure proper correction to this issue.  Thank you for being there and helping.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dtlsr42

Alan  Thank you for your help.  I replaced the Worm, worm bearing, worm shield, line guide, Slotted post, worm bearing and spring. I did take pictures as well as blowing up the manual diagrams.  It is working well but will not be satisfied until after as successful day on the lake.  Thanks again  Dave