Por Max 8

Started by Donnyboat, August 17, 2021, 02:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi all, I have a pro Max 8 bearing reel, It has a switch on the top right hand side when mounted on the rod, the switch, operates good pivots forward for on, but I can not fathom out what it actually does when it is on.
     a story on this reel, a mate dropped of a green cabbage crate here, that was half full of reels, this pro Max was with them, when I pressed the leaver into free spool, the free spool was working okay, but when I turnt the handle, it appeared to be jumping the cogs, the free spool lever was not fully returning to drive area, but with a little thin oil, & scraping away red mud & grit, it started to retract okay, hence the reel working good, on the foot it has a very small sticker, with made in China, also another sticker with M9 on it, then the model & date sticker of when the reel was made,  18 02 19 50/BD, the switch on the right top is what I am really wanting info about thank, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Swami805

Sounds like flipping mode for bass fishing.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Wompus Cat

Could be for Flipping Mode .
Thats when it is engaged you can not push the Lever down to disengage the Pinion completely but just for dropping line out .
Note*** Didn't mean to over run you Swami805 ,guess we were posting at the same time .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Donnyboat

Okay thanks men, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Ruffy

Put up a photo if you can Don! I have/had several of these reels, the round black/pro max's from the 90's, and have never seen any switch on the handle side.

Cheers,
Andrew

Donnyboat

Tanks Andrew, Ruffy, I have sent you a message, I had a little play with the switch this morning, If that switch is on, & you press the leaver for casting-free spool, as you wind the handle the lever returns to the top, if the switch is off the leaver only returns 2/3 of the way, then it starts jumping the  cogs.

I am about to strip it the next day or two, I may taulk to my old mate Wayne to post some pics then, hope he is in a good mood, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

El Pescador

Hi Wayne,
that post about the Ambassadeur Pro Max reel I have on the forum could you please post these pics in it for me, some of the members are requesting the,
plus two more thanks

cheers Don.

Here you Don!!!!    Wayne

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Wompus Cat

Don ,I think you may have things back wards on this reel on the On /Off  engagement functions
I have NOT SEEN the PRO 8 with the switch on top on the Right either however it does mean they don't have em...lol
The XLT series have a Switch like this but it is for a clicker function and the Free  Spool Lever will move all the way down in either On or Off.
The Fact you say your Reel only allows the Lever to move partially down in one of the positions tells me it is a Flipping Mode .
Try this ; Put the Switch in the Position where it only allows the Free Spool Lever to partially move down and see if the Spool is in Free Spool .

You have my e-mail and I would be Happy to post pix for you when Wayne is not available .

Donnyboat

Very Good Wayne thanks again, you look after me man.

Okay Billy, when the switch is in the of position, you can get the free spool lever half way down, & it free spools, if you turn the handle, it wont engage, but the line level still moves
    if you have the switch on, then the free spool lever will only go right down, & engages as soon as you turn the handle, also in that position, there seems to be some restriction with the free spool.
     It is forcast to rain the next  day or two, so I will strip it then, then we will see what it does, thats if I ever get it together again.
     I service the 5000C that I got from Alan, that went back together okay.
     Not bad for a reel from the rubbish tip, all the rods were on the tip to, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Wompus Cat

Post some pix of the Guts on the Handle side  or send em to me  when you get time . I still think it is  a Flip Switch .  ???

philaroman

don't know what each manufacturer considers ON/OFF...  educated guess:
in CASTING switch position, rear spool release goes down & stays down until you crank handle
in FLIP/PITCH switch position, you hold rear spool release down for freespool &
it springs back up WITHOUT cranking handle, to re-engage A/R

if freespool feels different/restricted in casting mode, prob. due to a need for service

Ruffy

Quote from: El Pescador on August 18, 2021, 12:24:18 PM
Hi Wayne,
that post about the Ambassadeur Pro Max reel I have on the forum could you please post these pics in it for me, some of the members are requesting the,
plus two more thanks

cheers Don.

Here you Don!!!!    Wayne

Wayne

Beat me to posting these up! This is a different beast to what I was imagining; I was thinking the round reels from the 90's. As for what that switch does, I have no idea!

Cheers,
Andrew

Donnyboat

Thank Phil,Billy & Andrew, for your input, I am now trying to dismantle the reel, with some difficult, I have managed to remove the tail plate, but  having troublle geting the front plate of, I see on the tail plate side there is a C clip, n a small screw near the line level area, if I remove them, maybe the front plate will part then, I have managed to get some auto trans oil on the shaft near the pinion, I have had pinions before that are corroded on the the spool shaft, I have sent some more pics to Billy, he may place them here or add comments soon, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Wompus Cat

Here are a couple of Don's pix.
With the way you have it now you should be able to rock that cover  back and forth and it should just pull out .Try pushing down on the Sleeve and kinda wiggle the cover back and forth.
The sleeve needs to stay put as well as the Switch . The Sleeve is not holding it from coming off .
Also there may be an Alignment Pin on the bottom and it probably is Grunged up and needs some penetrate on it then light tap it with a small diameter Flat Punch to loosen it .
All the Pro 8's I ever seen here are Black and No Switch. You got a different one for sure.

Wompus Cat

Don, Here is a Pic  of one of My XLT's with the Pin I speak of .