Rogue rod blanks

Started by ClintB, August 17, 2021, 04:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClintB

This is a heads up for any rod builders, there are blanks available on eBay for 25 each.

Rogue Rods was a small business in southern Oregon that went out of business. Some employees had ties with Loomis, they have quality equipment.

I bought half a dozen complete rods for about a third of their original price. I think they are worth checking out. I was in contact with the owner of the left over inventory, Kory Kaufman,  he's a great guy.

You can also get direct connection with him on Facebook, (best to use his email that is listed there) Rogue Rods. He may still be selling completed rods at significant savings.

philaroman

heard good things about longer lighter SSH/Float

oc1

Clint, do you know how to interpret the model number to get the specifications?

ClintB

When I purchased the rods Kory sent me a email list of his entire stock, I have since lost it.

You could email him kory.kaufman@croman.net

His phone # is listed on Facebook as well so I guess it's okay to post it here 541-826-4455

Or maybe his website is still up www.roguerods.com/ nope, it's gone

Wompus Cat

Here is a link to a pdf file current as of today . It gives lengths sizes price and availability . I am trying to reformat the file to post here .
Some GOOD DEALS here.

https://oldreelcollectors.com/index.php/topic,182.0.html
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oc1

There is no link in the ORCA post.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: oc1 on August 17, 2021, 09:30:22 PM
There is no link in the ORCA post.

It is not ORCA it is oldreelcollectors.com 

I modified the settings soooooo try it now .

oc1

Wompus Cat

Quote from: oc1 on August 18, 2021, 12:15:20 AM
Thank you.

Thanks to ClintB for finding the Close out Deal !!

And HERE'S the Link to The E-BAY Blanks

oc1

The one i want isn't in the ebay listing.  It's too bad.  I never heard of them but hate to see American craftsmen not make it in a business.

ClintB

I hadn't heard of Rogue Rods either and I live In Oregon. I found an early RogueRod at a yard sale a couple of years ago and was intrigued by the made in USA print on the rod. I did some research and found they were out of business but still had inventory. After reading up on their history and talking to Kory, I popped on half a dozen lightweight rods they still had in stock. He told me that they looked at outsourcing the blanks but they were unacceptable and scrapped that idea even though it may have saved the company.

JasonGotaProblem

This list became a lot more interesting upon learning these are USA made blanks. I don't actually 'need' any. In fact i already have more rods than reels. But I'm intrigued still. If nothing else the price is right.

But the eBay listing doesn't say anything about the action of the rods. Just line rating and "power." As has been discussed before and doesn't need to be beat to death again, what I really want is a lure rating and is it fast or slow taper. Knowing the weight of the blank is nice too.

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Wompus Cat

The link above in my first post shows the Complete Rods he has left in stock and all the info you want .
The e-bay blank guy gets 25  for ??? then 30 bux shipping then you have to build the Rod from scratch .
Which is fine but you can buy a 300 dollar U.S. made Complete  Rod for 50 pecent or more off .

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 23, 2021, 01:04:31 PM
The link above in my first post shows the Complete Rods he has left in stock and all the info you want .
The e-bay blank guy gets 25  for ??? then 30 bux shipping then you have to build the Rod from scratch .
Which is fine but you can buy a 300 dollar U.S. made Complete  Rod for 50 pecent or more off .
Thank you BTW for taking the effort to compile that.

Yeah sellers on eBay love to shuffle around the numbers to make better looking listings but the shipping included price is the only one I consider when deciding if it's worth it. I know this game by now. 60 bucks for a US made blank is worth discussing at the minimum if the quality is good and the specs are in line with something I want. We've established US made, now I wanna establish specs/desirability (for myself).

I'm just spoiled now. Knowing the glory of a custom rod I'll likely never buy another factory rod unless it's dirt cheap and I get it to strip and rebuild. But that's just my own perspective, partially driven by how much I enjoy the process of rod building. If i found it tedious and terrible my opinion might be different.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

blank/rod model#s match up -- look up the specs, here:
then, see if same model blank is still available on fleaBay
seems silly, unless you want/can get a bunch in one tube / one S/H
save time/money/effort by getting most suitable pre-made rod
and change a couple components, if you need to