Pretty happy with how this came out

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 25, 2021, 12:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

This rod has gone through at least 4 redesigns as I've kept changing my mind on how I wanted to decorate it, in part because some of those ideas weren't the best. And I appreciate folks on here helping guide me away from those less-awesome designs. And I appreciate that honesty BTW. Without constructive criticism its hard to improve.

Compared to some of the masters on here my rods are still pretty amateurish, but this is my cleanest build to date and I'm quite proud of it.

Thank you everyone for your support and guidance. I could not do this alone.

Edit to add rod details: 6'-6" 6-12# line 3/16-5/8 oz lure mod-fast taper. I built it to pair with my Daiwa SS1300 running 10# braid
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Ron Jones

What is the design on the fore grip called? I really like it, and your gold winding checks, goes great with the reel.
I'm thinking trout and pan fish should beware!

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Ron Jones on August 25, 2021, 03:02:02 PM
What is the design on the fore grip called? I really like it, and your gold winding checks, goes great with the reel.
I'm thinking trout and pan fish should beware!

The Man
I'm not sure if it has a name. It's basically using pro wrap metallic twist thread as an inlay with regular pro wrap nylon. I used D size "sky blue" nylon thread with their blue and gold metallic twist, and i love the end result.  I was introduced to the idea by Alex, who referred to it as his "lazy tiger wrap". Now I'm not sure that name will stick. And tiger wrap is taken. So if this doesn't already have a name, I say we coin one. I vote for "Zebra wrap."

Below is a pic of that in the daylight. And a different rod for a friend where i did the same treatment on the split grip area. On that one I added mica powder to the epoxy, and that really adds some 'pop' to it IMO.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on August 25, 2021, 03:22:30 PM
  I was introduced to the idea by Alex, who referred to it as his "lazy tiger wrap". Now I'm not sure that name will stick. And tiger wrap is taken. So if this doesn't already have a name, I say we coin one. I vote for "Zebra wrap."

LOL, just "invented" the name at the moment when making the post, so, I dont know if correct to name it since is a Variegated thread that gives you different patterns every time you used.

like in the next rod, depending on the diameter of zone on the blank that you are wrapping the thread form a pattern different when wrapping near to the tip than neat to the butt, but thats actually the attractiveness of the thread, you dont know what pattern are you going to get.

by the way, you rod looks pretty good, the keep building and keep practice and you will amazed with your work in few time.
The Baja Guy

Gfish

It will now and forever more, be known as; "The Lazy Tiger Wrap", ha!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: steelfish on August 25, 2021, 07:33:33 PM

LOL, just "invented" the name at the moment when making the post, so, I dont know if correct to name it since is a Variegated thread that gives you different patterns every time you used.
There was a pun in there. Tiger wrap is 2 layers this is only one. Tiger>zebra, etc. Thank you though, that one looks excellent.

Jeri

Personally, not keen on variegated threads, they tend to change aspect according to diameter of the blank. Think for this project with that reel, sticking to plain black with gold edging would have been more impacting on the eye. Though not convinced that changing the colour scheme to blue and gold over the guides would work, having a black and gold design near the handle - all gets disconnected.

Rather than trying to put so many ideas into one rod, before you start establish a single colour scheme, and use it all the way through the whole rod. And as an option rather than dated variegated threads, we came up with a combination of nylon with metallic, by starting with 3 or 4 turns of nylon, then introducing a single strand of metallic, then binding with both. Finishing off with a 3 or 4 turn of nylon at the end. This produced a stunning effect, that effectively quadruples your options on colours, the metallic element being an 'A' thread, while the nylon is a 'C' thread - the effect is to add a metallic influence on even plain simple colours like black, and is very effective.

Another observation is that your cork work needs to be refined, perhaps a lathe of some sort to fine sand end profiles to get cleaner finish and then use of collars to close the inevitable gaps between blank and cork. Lower quality corks are difficult to work with, especially when re-shaping, as they tend to chip and break, leaving less than desirable finish.

JasonGotaProblem

I appreciate the constructive criticism. I really do. Its the only way I grow. I will offer one rebuttal though. The non-twist thread at the butt is the same thread as the guide wrap. It looks really dark in pictures in contrast to the gold. I gotta get a better picture. And I'm half Armenian. We're known for our love of excessive gold. I'm no exception.

There is a different blue thread in the band below the foregrip. It came out way darker than I expected so I knew not to use it elsewhere. I may go over it with the same sky blue nylon used everywhere else. That wasn't needed to.cover anything, I was just sticking to the theme. I may cover it with the same gold used elsewhere just to match.

Thanks again. I look forward to landing some fish on it.

Sharkb8

G'day Jason, I would recommend if you use A thread and C thread use the A thread for under binding ,if you  use it on top of C thread it tends to fall into the gaps. I use something like a spoon handle to help push the thread tighter to one another. When starting out I would recommend for the over binding the eyes and finishing off of patterns (diamonds, fish,chevrons ,etc)I would use black thread it will cover up any mistakes  because it all blends in black when you varnish it. This is a rod I built 30yrs.ago it has triple over in black you cannot see the different layers it all blended in. The more rods you build the better you get, happy building.

Kim

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on August 25, 2021, 03:22:30 PM

Below is a pic of that in the daylight. And a different rod for a friend where i did the same treatment on the split grip area. On that one I added mica powder to the epoxy, and that really adds some 'pop' to it IMO.

Jason, on your next rod, you might want to try a shorter trim on both of the "ugly" edges of the cork, check my latest rod I built, it has a pretty long split grip because its a swimbait rod and you need some distance between your butt cap and your reelseat to properly swing the rod and cast the lure the farthest you can just as you do with a surf rod, I didt wanted to make some extra long wraps on the exposed blank in the split grip.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=33808.0

The Baja Guy