DQ 265 cover caps

Started by Steelyfinn, August 25, 2021, 03:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelyfinn

Over the the last year, I've acquired a couple of 265 microlites that I've managed to restore to good function with the help of a few nos parts I've located for them.  Both had cover caps (100-400) that were pretty beat up or split and I was lucky enough to find replacements.  The problem is these caps look right, but are too tight to snap on without forcing.  I managed to get one on a reel I did last fall, but the cap has split already. I've tried heating them up in hot tap water and also tried lubing the inside of the cap to get them on, but still couldn't get them on using excessive pressure.

Has anyone else had a problem with this, or have a trick to fitting them?  

Jon

foakes

I might have had a couple of occasions where the caps were a little too tight, Jon —

But out of hundreds of these worked on over the years — they generally just snap on nicely.

I do install (1) edge under the groove in the plate — then the other side just snaps into place with a firm thumb.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Steelyfinn

Thanks Fred,

I'll give it another try today.  These caps just don't seem to snap into place like the old ones.

Jon

Steelyfinn

Well, that didn't work with these caps so I went to plan b and carefully used a dremmel tool to grind the inside of the cap until it just snapped on.  Maybe these caps were a close substitute that needed this to fit.

Jon