DQ 285 repair or how to salvage a rotor

Started by Steelyfinn, August 25, 2021, 06:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelyfinn

I bought this 285 as a parts reel last year and when I got it, I was surprised at what good shape it was in except the bail trip lever was missing.  When I opened it up I found that the trip lever holder was broken. Nice rotors are hard to come by, so I decided to figure out how to repair this.  Luckily, I was able to find a new holder and even the rivets to fasten it.  After trying to figure out how to actually rivet this part in without making some special jig or tool, I decided to buy an assortment of stainless micro screws and nuts like those used in repairing eyeglasses to see if they could work.
I finally got around to tackling this project a month ago, and started by drilling out the old rivets and then finding the right size screws to fasten in the holder.  The screws had to be inserted from the bottom of the rotor with the nuts on top in order to put in and flare the bearing pin (brass tube) that holds in the trip lever.  I was concerned that the spool would rub on the nuts this way, it turned out not to be a problem. I think this fix should hold up and would be a way to salvage other rotors with this kind of damage.
I apologize if the pictures aren't oriented correctly- I have trouble with this using the additional option feature.

Steelyfinn

A comparison of the rivet vs the screws used

foakes

That is a great fix if you do not want to mess with the rivets, Jon —

I will remember that — always a tedious job to replace the rivets.

Good work!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Steelyfinn

Gfish

Nice! Now it's easily removable/repairable. I hate rivets.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

I had the same issue with my 285.  I took the easy way out, and our Un-official Factory Repairman came to the rescue with a complete rotor assembly....thank you again Fred for the parts....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!