Microlite spool release button

Started by ClintB, August 28, 2021, 08:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClintB

I just picked up this sweet little jewel. It's in real good shape except that the spool release button is sticky. I've got it loosened up and taken apart but I'm unsure of how to proceed with maintenance. Does the button it's self come out of the brass spindle?

foakes

Remove the underspool washer — drop the spindle in a container of penetrating oil such as Kroil overnght.

Then blow the P Oil out and test for button function.

If it works - apply a drop of oil to the button where it enters the spool spindle — and another drop inside the spindle — then half a drop to the spring spool keeper on the spool shaft.

This should do it unless it is badly rusted.

If not, I would send you a new spindle and button.

The button does not come loose from the spool spindle.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ClintB

I've got it soaking as I type.

I was trying to wrap my head around how that works, I'm assuming that the button must be held in there by some type of roll crimp. The button would the slide down the shaft compressing the spring of the lever that must engage in a recess cut on the inside of the shaft. Then when reinstalled, the spring activated lever would re engage the slot and push the button upwards caused by it sliding up the lever. Am I close?

I'll get it back together tomorrow and repost.

Thanks for the help Fred!

foakes

You are exactly right, Clint —

Is that a plastic or metal spool?

The 110 & 265 Microlite spools are interchangeable — except the 265 is metal (aluminum) — and the 110 is plastic.

No big deal either way — but it looks like someone has been into the reel before you got it — and parts may have been switched around a bit.  The drag knob looks newer than the reel — and the (2) sideplate screws are goobered.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ClintB

The spool appears to be metal, it says 265on the bottom of the spool.

I noticed the buggered screws too, I haven't opened that up just yet but I'm sure it needs cleaning. It's a bit sluggish, I'm assuming gummed up grease.

I'll look up a few more posts to see if I can spot the differences in drag nuts.

Thanks,
Clint

foakes

There are no differences in drag nuts.

They are the same painted metal for the 265 & 110. Yours looks good.

I will send you a couple of side screws.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

ClintB

Cool, Thanks!

I've got a Dillons's gunsmith screwdriver set to avoid beating up those screw heads!

Clint

ClintB

After a good soaking and scrubbing and my magnifying glasses, ( I can hardly see a size 26 hook much less tie a fly on it any more), I see it's been kinda beat up. It works but the last little push gets hung up. You can see the button cup is dented in and the shaft threads are slightly stripped along with buggered drag gear.

I also tested my 110 spool on the shaft and it worked well.

foakes

You will have a new one on the way tomorrow, Clint —

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

ClintB

Quote from: foakes on August 29, 2021, 05:06:16 PM
You will have a new one on the way tomorrow, Clint —

Best, Fred

It doesn't get any better this!