daiwa saltiga 50

Started by wallacewt, January 19, 2012, 10:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

saltiga 50
key#57
part#g21-7101
click leaf spring holder
can someone tell me if the spring holder is meant to be concave!
i have a suspicion that its suppose to be flat.
they screw the drag up tight here in oz,can only get 10lb of drag
looked at alan,hafnor,schematics,cant tell.
also is there a washer between bellvilles and spring holder.
thanks in advance.

Bryan Young

The click leaf spring holder should be flat.  under the click lief spring holder should be 2 belvelle washers and should be in the |()| configuration, and below that is a thrust washer.  It sounds like possibly the belvelle washers may have been placed in a |((| or |)(| configuration, which would bend the click leaf spring holder.  The | on the left represents the thrust washer and the | on the right represents the click leaf spring holder.

If you are only getting 10# of drag, it's possible that Item 39 in the schematics may be upside down (the washer has a hump and should be place with the hump side up on the drag stack).    On two of the recent reels that I have worked on, there was also a thrust washer that was about 2 mm thick that was place between Item 39 and the anti-reverse bearing collar (Item 40) that is not in the schematics.  This fix may have been added later if more than a few reels were getting less than desireable.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

i straightened out the leaf spring holder
bent the bellvilles,they were flat
put a thin washer between drag and spacing sleeve,might take it back out.
the spacing sleeve does it go solid end against the drag washer?
i had key #,s 54,55,56,57,58,59 ok.
thank you bryan its a mess,all because the drag is jammed down as hard as it would go and never backed off.
"i dont want em to get away"

redsetta

Sounds like a bit of a mess Wallace - you've got your work cut out for ya!  ;)
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

been used as a winch not a fishing reel.

Bryan Young

Quote from: wallacewt on January 20, 2012, 02:25:51 AM
i straightened out the leaf spring holder
bent the bellvilles,they were flat
put a thin washer between drag and spacing sleeve,might take it back out.
the spacing sleeve does it go solid end against the drag washer?
i had key #,s 54,55,56,57,58,59 ok.
thank you bryan its a mess,all because the drag is jammed down as hard as it would go and never backed off.
"i dont want em to get away"

From the diagram, Item 39, a washer that is about 2 mm thick is placed against the top metal drag washer then the anti-reverse bearing inner race (I'm drawing a blank for the name), then the keys you noted.  Does this help?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

thanks for your help bryan,i dug in further and the main shaft was cross threaded and possibly the star drag.i cleaned the reel,and sent it off to daiwa aust;handle nut ,bellvilles,spring holder,etc.etc;ive had enough,i dont like saltigas anymore.ugh. oh by the way,he used it for shore fishing sharks and stingrays,a little bit under gunned methinks!

alantani

i had to replace a star and drive shaft on one of those and it was almost $50.  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

thats the price you pay if you dont treat them decent

broadway

x2 on Wallace's comments!
Dom

wallacewt

got the bill from daiwa today
$240aud!
5 bearings x $16
star drag(cross threaded)$48
labour$65
gst $21
+extras.
not even sure the new bearings have been greased.
im not starting over,thats it.

alantani

that would be an all time record for a star drag reel if i had done the work, even with the exchange rate!   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on February 06, 2012, 10:57:15 PM
got the bill from daiwa today
$240aud!
5 bearings x $16
star drag(cross threaded)$48
labour$65
gst $21
+extras.
not even sure the new bearings have been greased.
im not starting over,thats it.

OUCH!
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

checked  the 1st bearing
no rust!
put it in the elec;drill,vroom in white spirits clean as a whistle spins like a top
havent done the other bearings yet but they spin freely.
ill pack them all with grease.
you cant educate a mug,only tell em.

wallacewt

just finished the other 3 bearings.same as the 1st.good to go.no sense trying to deal with the aussie Companies.they suck!you hear me DAIWA AUSTRALIA.this is after i cleaned and greased the reel and put in new cf washers.