pro-gear ID

Started by boo, January 19, 2012, 07:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boo

I have an old Pro-Gear that looks identical in size to a Jigmaster.  It has no identifying numbers or marks on it.  Any idea what model it might be ?  It appears to be 4:1 gear ratio.  What size drags might be in it?  I want to upgrade the drags.... what amount of drag can I expect from it with Carbontex or HT-100 drags?

Tim

Bryan Young

It's quite possible that it's an old frame and side/plate kit similar to that of the Accurate sideplates and frame.  If it's a size of a 2/0 reel, then it's their 545.  4/0 size drags in a smaller reel.  540 is the size of a 3/0, and 541 is like an extended 3/0.  Again, all with 4/0 size drags.  These will have drags in the max range of 18#.

For comparison, if you have a 4/0 size reel and compare the sideplate gear area in size, if it's smaller, then it's has jigmaster size gears and drags.  If the same, then 4/0 size drags.

Now, if jigmaster size, it's possible to get 18# in you have a 5 stack carbontex +1 under the gear, which is in my PG251, but max out at 12-13#s due to a flex in my spool resulting in the spool hitting the frame.  I want to try the same in a PG255 to see if I can actually get 18# if I can put in a 5+1 carbontex.  I just don't know if it has stainless steel gears.  If not, then I will not exceed 15# but stay in the range of 10-12# max.

Hope this helps.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D