Penn 716Z Bail Release Issue-Stuck

Started by Fishgolfman, September 06, 2021, 10:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

Nifty little reel with braid on it! Had a beautiful cast...Wound it back by hand as bail will not trip. what service do I need to do. Suggestions. The gearing and shaft spins great. Well greased inside body

dlrider

Check for broken bail spring.  Check for bent/tensioned bail.  Clean those moving parts, including the trip lever.
Similar:  

It should have all the parts necessary to trip the bail. Schematic diagram: https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/716z.pdf

Incidentally, the line guide there occasionally tends to attract sandy grit, in the under area, despite best efforts to keep the reel away from laying on the ground.  On mine it causes an intermittent screeching noise.  Clean it and all is good again.

Fishgolfman

I took it apart..fixed it!. Took a bit longer as I could not get bail wire on without taking rotor off... which meant i cleaned the main gears , shaft and regreased the body. Also should have noted which screw went with the bail and trip mechanism..both fit on either side...figured it out. Regreased and cleaned..turns out lots of sand and grit. Thanks for encouragement

handi2

Those reels have a finicky bail. It has to be perfectly aligned before tightening the nut. Even when you tighten the nut it can make it stiff again. It takes a couple of tries to get it perfect.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL