Saltiga SALD35 2 speed

Started by alantani, January 19, 2012, 09:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Re: Saltiga SALD35 2 speed

I purchased this reel recently and when I crank up the drag preset knob so that I can achieve 18lbs drag at strike, it binds so bad that even in free spool I can turn the handle and the spool will move. Is this feature inherent of all lever drag reels? Is there and upgraded bearing I can purchase to cure this problem?  Thanks

i'm not a big fan of these reels because of the design of the anti-reverse system, but what you describe can be simply the limit of the reel, or a bad right main side plate bearing, or both.  as you increase the drag range, you are putting increasing pressure on that right main side plate bearing.  too much pressure will damage the bearing (like taking a hammer to the inside race!) and salt water will cause corrosion.  the end result will be the same. 

if your drag range has decreased overtime. then look at replacing the right main side plate bearing and see what kind of performance changes you get.  i am certain that the bearing is damaged.  it always happens here, first. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

I think something is amiss with this reel because the "listed" max drag pressure for this reel is 28 #'s at strike and 40 #'s at full. Thats alot more than this guy is getting.

alantani

i agree.  something is definitely amiss.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

spiderpig

I recently had something similar occurring in my saltist ld. It ended up being the spring between the two spool bearings had been compressed. Might be worth a look for a cheap fix.