My first reel mantainance

Started by GT, January 20, 2012, 09:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT

I had success opening up my first reel (never done it before), my Shimano Tyrnos 30II, and, fortunately I also managed to re-put it all toghether (do not know how though)  ::)

I did all of this just taking a look to a Tyrnos 20 rebuild tutorial on this forum! Thank you guys!

Here is my drag washer:

Do you think I should replace it?

Alto Mare

Very good lorenzo, the next one is going to be much easier and after you do about ten , you can service them in the dark ;D. That washer looks good to me, but see what others will say about it. Ci sentiamo.Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Well done mate - hope it's the first of many.  ;)
Washer looks fine to me, CF basically lasts forever...
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Snagged2

Congrats!! Sounds like mission accomplished!!

Dirk Gently

Good going! Seriously, if it wasn't for Mr. Tani doing a detailed break down with pics. I still wouldn't have had the wherewithal to open my reels. More power to you. ;D

Dominick

Good job Lorenzo.  Now you have to do it for all your friends.  Più importante è che è stato divertente.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Good job Lorenzo. The drag washer looks good.  Many wish to replace it, with a custom cut carbontex, but it's not necessary.  That reminds me, I gotta fishing the Tyrnos 20 rebuild.  Thanks for the reminder.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela

great job lorenzo and thank you for the pic's. like bryan said x2

Nessie Hunter

Super good.....

The Washer looks fine, not all were defective....
If it is fairly hard and not all gushy soft and comes apart with slight fingernail touch, its fine...
They are in a pressure location, so only motion is under pressure, no place to go...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

the problem that bryan and i were seeing was with the carbon fiber drag washers in the smaller tyrnos reels, not the 20 and 30 class.  the drag washers in these bigger reels seemed to be fine. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

GT

Thanks guys!!

Next step is trying to find some lubes as those indicated in this forum posts.

Do you know if there are some distributors in Italy for Cal's grease and corrosion X?

thanks,

L.

Bryan Young

For corrosionX in Europe, you can contact http://www.scandex.de/.  Not sure about Cals grease in Europe.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D