All around surf fishing rod!?

Started by Riy2018, September 10, 2021, 01:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riy2018

question to all gurus.
is there any surf fishing rod (custom or manufactured) that works for all kind of applications?
what surf rod can be kept in trunk.
for fishing east cost NY,NJ.

pjstevko

Black Hole surf fishing rods.......

https://www.blackholeusa.com/surf-rods-blanks

The Suzuki Special models are a great rod for a great price

thorhammer

Well, you can putt a golf ball with a driver, but it's not ideal.....If I was going to have one to keep on hand in the trunk, it would likely be a ten-footer rated 2-6 ounces or so, a 6000 size spinning reel with 30 lb braid and a shock leader. This will chunk spoons, bucktails, poppers / plugs, and reasonably toss a 5oz weight and a mullet head, and have enough to take most fish you might encounter. Overkill for whiting and undergun for cow stripers and drum, but that's as close to a do-all as I could say...my 0.02.

I'm a Penn guy, so it would likely be my Spinfisher graphite with 6500SS. Tsunami, Penn Prevail, Okuma, Sea Striker all make decent performing stuff under a hundred bucks, and fish just fine if you don'y need to hit low altitude orbit (although I can reach out there with 12' Tsunami's).

philaroman

if you want 11'-13' for trunk, look into carp rods for more 3-pc options
more "tippy" than proper Surf; not ideal for higher terminal weights
but enough butt to land occasional trophy & more enjoyable with 95%
of what you're likely to hook in our over-pressured corner of the world

JasonGotaProblem

My black hole suzuki special 10' is potentially the most fun to fish with rod I've ever held, definitely the most fun rod I own. I use it for light surf fishing running 20# Jbraid on a daiwa BG 4000. Great setup as long as you can keep the reel out of the sand.

. I did a custom build but they sell them pre made as well. The blank is $100 the pre made is about 200.

I can throw some pretty remarkable casts with it, and it's surprisingly bendy for fighting. And surprisingly sensitive.

*I haven't fished the premade one just my own creation.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oc1

That's a broad question.  You would at least need to specify the weight of the lure/payload and spinning or conventional.  Any three-piece and some two-piece rods can be put in the truck.

Jeri

How long is a piece of string?

The question needs a little more definition, both on types of fishing you expect from the rod, and the performance you would like.

Both mainland Europe and southern Africa have a huge variety of options on 3 piece rods, as these became vogue a few years back, and transportability became a priority. Options there range from bargain basement through to high performance rods, from manufactured to full custom. Currently, on the rack in our custom shop we have 3 piece rods to cover the whole range from light spinning to heavy weight specials. Most common applications come from dedicated 5-6oz designs offering distance performance, yet still light enough for using all dy long without putting rods in holders.

Riy2018

Riy2018

Quote from: oc1 on September 10, 2021, 07:22:36 AM
That's a broad question.  You would at least need to specify the weight of the lure/payload and spinning or conventional.  Any three-piece and some two-piece rods can be put in the truck.

My best rod is Penn Fierce 9f combo. I have for 10 years and it never failed. it fits perfectly in trunk of Rav4. But casting distance from open ocean surf was not enough. Im looking for may be 11 ft now.
Previously owned Ugly Stik 12ft - but it is too stiff.

Black Hole Suzuki rods comes on 9.6 and 10f option 3/4~3oz only.
have any one fished with St.Croix Mojo or Legend?

Riy2018

Quote from: philaroman on September 10, 2021, 04:32:27 AM
if you want 11'-13' for trunk, look into carp rods for more 3-pc options
more "tippy" than proper Surf; not ideal for higher terminal weights
but enough butt to land occasional trophy & more enjoyable with 95%
of what you're likely to hook in our over-pressured corner of the world

Funny but I tried 9 ft carp rod for casting jigs and spoons for bluefish and it made better than carpfishing.
what is the best carp rods 3 piece? in your opinion

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Riy2018 on September 16, 2021, 01:17:17 PM
Quote from: pjstevko on September 10, 2021, 01:23:08 AM
Black Hole surf fishing rods.......

https://www.blackholeusa.com/surf-rods-blanks

The Suzuki Special models are a great rod for a great price

Good Day,
I reached to BH
https://jignpop.com/black-hole-usa-suzuki-special-96-10-surf-rod/
2 sizes are available
I have the 10 footer. The 9'6 is stiffer for throwing heavier bait. Line rating is irrelevant in the age of braid.  Consider the weight of the bait you wanna throw and decide accordingly.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

Quote from: Riy2018 on September 16, 2021, 01:29:05 PM
Funny but I tried 9 ft carp rod for casting jigs and spoons for bluefish and it made better than carpfishing.
what is the best carp rods 3 piece? in your opinion

couldn't tell you brands...  just basics:
carp world is mostly spinning/baitrunner, but some conventional (esp. in US for fans of Abu w/ clicker)
3.25 or 3.50 Test Curve might be nice for light Surf...  3.0TC still has enough butt to handle bigger fish & more joy w/ small stuff,
but too tippy for high winds/waves & can't aggressively cast much more than 2oz+bait...  more Bay, than Surf

Riy2018

please let me know if you have any experience with https://www.fiblink.com/products/fiblink-surf-spinning-fishing-rod-2-piece-graphite-travel-fishing-rod

Amazon has many good and very bad reviews.  cant trust Amazon anymore.

philaroman

the good reviews might be bot-generated, an even if not --
mostly written upon receipt -- NOT, after some use...  hence, USELESS!!!

only read the bad reviews & eliminate ones written by complete idiots (always a few of those)
look for repetition of issues (a one-of may be just that)
consider the repeated complaints as they relate to YOUR intended use -- could be a huge red flag,
OR some peeves of others, may be irrelevant or even preferable to YOU

know nothing about this rod, but nothing in the ad makes me want to buy one

Decker

Quote from: oc1 on September 10, 2021, 07:22:36 AM

It is hard to imagine just one.