Okinawa

Started by Bill B, September 14, 2021, 01:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

A friend of mine, who was an exchange student here in California sent me these pictures of him spear fishing at his hometown in Okinawa...he translates it as a sea bream...either way I need go go there now!  Please contribute to my travel fund so I can go 😆😆😆😆😆. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

philaroman

well, you're on the same body of water
just cast really, really, really far  ;D

Swami805

Looks like a parrot fish?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Benni3

That's a really cool looking fish,,,,,,,,, 8)

Wompus Cat

Maybe it is a Chameleon Fish since it's colors matches your Friends outfit or your Friend Camouflaged himself to Sneak up on the Fish ???
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

sciaenops

Looks like a wrasse to me. The sea bream ("tai" in Japanese lingo) I know of is a porgy.

I have a buddy who lives in Naha - he took me snorkeling over there. Pretty amazing.

Back in the day one of his uncles took us fishing on the family boat...using hand lines!

Bill B

Quote from: philaroman on September 14, 2021, 01:47:25 AM
well, you're on the same body of water
just cast really, really, really far  ;D

Think my Squidder will make it..... 🤣🤣🤣🤣
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oc1

Can't see the mouth in the photo but it could be a parrotfish.

thorhammer

It's a parrot. They taste fantastic- whiteist meat of any fish I ever caught.

smnaguwa

Definitely uhu/parrotfish which I have speared in Hawaii. In Hawaii, I only consider the ponuhunuhu/starry eyed parrotfish delicious. The other uhu have a strong seaweed/coral taste/smell, but others enjoy them. Interesting, they cover themselves with a mucus coccoon when they sleep at night. Uhu can be cought on hook-and-line using special bait.

Cor

Quote from: thorhammer on September 14, 2021, 12:16:04 PM
It's a parrot. They taste fantastic- whiteist meat of any fish I ever caught.
Quote from: oc1 on September 14, 2021, 04:04:32 AM
Can't see the mouth in the photo but it could be a parrotfish.
Quote from: Swami805 on September 14, 2021, 02:03:25 AM
Looks like a parrot fish?
I support the opinion, mainly tropical fish.
Cornelis

Gfish

Could be a wrasse with that coloration, but that's a bad way to I'd. fish. Really looks like a parrot fish. Got a few of them over relatively shallow reefs on jigs but not often enough as they are good fighters.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

PacRat

Parrot fish are wrasses. These guys eat reefs, or more importantly; they eat the algae that lives on coral. When you dive with them you can hear them biting the reef. I've never ate one but you can get them at some of the Asian markets here in Southern California. If you go to an area like Little Saigon you will see them in the frozen seafood section. They're easily identifiable because the are whole and retain their bright color even after they are dead and frozen. Maybe I'll have to try one next time I see them.
-Mike

steelfish

yep, a parrotfish, they're good fighters for sure but IMO they dont taste that good to be a keeper, my daughter caught one some years ago and we took it home, tried it out but after that I have never keep a parrotfish ever, also local sealife Gov departments recommend us to dont kill parrofish because they keep the Coral-reefs in good shape.

PS: she's now almost finishing University  :D
The Baja Guy

otownjoe

Here in Florida we catch hog fish,also called hog snapper. They are in the wrasse family.  Definitely one of the best eating fish we catch.