cals light grade grease

Started by trishul, January 21, 2012, 03:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trishul

hello

i got my brother in uk to get me some cals drag grease and some cals light grease from smooth drag in 2011,, few days ago i was taking my reels apart after my fishing trip and i use the light grease to lubricate some areas i noticed the first time what appeared to be like a small stone but when you crush it it mixes and becomes like part of the grease, then that same evening i again felt a texture like sand particles in the light grease,, has anyone felt this before, i dont doubt the quality of the grease i like it alot maybe it has something to do with the temp it was stored at, in uk very cold and here in tanzania, dsm very hot or maybe in needs to be mixed before usage any insight on this will be help full

thanks
trishul

paal

Is it possible that saltwater made its way inside, water vapourized and left salt crystals?
Has happened to me.

trishul

hi i had this issue with the grease strait from the original container that was sent to my bro by smooth drag, i dont think salt is a possibility as the container has never been near sand or salty water always at home, i dint feel these these things in the heavy grade drag grease of cals only in the light grade and that also in the big tin and small tins both

Bryan Young

Is that the purple grease?  I'd have to check as I only use that grease on spinners. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

trishul

hell0 bryan yes the light grade is the purple grease i als0 use it 0n s0me parts 0f my spinners its really a nice pr0duct its just the sandy texture that i was w0ndering ab0ut h0w ever its n0t casused any pr0blems f0r any 0f the reels i have used it in, i als0 have an0ther questi0n instead 0f having t0 use diffrent greases can i just use the cals heavy grade tefl0n(drag grease) f0r all applicati0ns
thanks

Bryan Young

I don't see any type of separation or sandy texture in the grease that I have.  I wonder if it's a batch thing.  Contact Cal's directly and ask them.  They may want some pictures or even a sample.   Who knows, maybe they'll send you replacement.

Yes you can use Cal's universal reel and drag grease through the reel.  It's just that Cal's is not very water and salt retardant, and it cost a lot of money compared to marine grease.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

trishul

thanks f0r the inf0 ill try l00king f0r s0me marine grease but cals will have its place, i figure theres n0 need t0 send a sample f0r replacements as i stay far and it may be just a faulty batch  but i will try and upl0ad a pic t0 sh0w what im talking ab0ut
cheers

Dawn

Hi
You can send the container back so I can have a look at it if you want. Or pictures would work fine too.   I will replace it.

Dawn
Dawn

trishul

hi dawn
ill try post some pics soon no need to replace its fine but thanks, the funny thing is that if i mix it up well the particles become part of the grease and it seems not to cause any problems as all the reels i used it on are very smooth and fluid

trishul

hi dawn this is the picture with what appears t0 be like pebbles but they are s0ft and sandy when y0u crush them and bec0me part 0f the grease, please take a l00k at the black arr0ws 0n the pic, the 0thers are s00 tiny y0u will 0nly feel them when y0u t0uch the grease and they are hard t0 sp0t via camera pic

thanks
Trishul

Dominick

That is a pretty gross picture.  It looks like polyps in someone's large intestine.  ;D  Is Cal's light grease pink?  I have Cal's grease and it is a light tan. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Dominick,

The light Cal's grease is purple.  Supposed to be thinner and better for cold weather environments.  I only use it on spinners, which I haven't caught anything that has testing me drags as of yet.

Trishul,

That's a great picture.  Interesting.  I'd better look at light Cal's closer.

Bryan

trishul

dominick i had to remove some from its tin and spread it on a paper yes it can look very gross by the way have u ever seen somenes large intestines, hahaha there are two types of cals grease availabe at smooth drag the light tan coloured one u talk 0f is for the drag washers (ctex) this one in the pic is the light grade cals grease.

Bryan thanks pls let me knw about your findings, i think tomorrw im going to have to take apart the 3 spinners that i have used this on and clean them out just to be on the safe side and il regrease with the cals heavy grade drag grease

Bryan Young

I just looked closely at mine and it looks just like yours.  Never noticed it before.  The things are tiny specs. Hmm...

I sent an Cal's info email address to alert them of this finding and am awaiting a response.

trishul

thanks al0t bryan its g00d we sp0tted this s0 cals can rectify the issue 0r clarify with us if this is n0rmal, by the way where is the stuff made in is it america 0r elsewhere.