115L Build question.

Started by SearedTuna, October 04, 2021, 05:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SearedTuna

I just put together a 115 9/0 with Cortez side plates and frame. Everything went together well until I tightened everything up....
The issue is that the harness lugs are both very loose, and the post has no play so the screws are buttoned down correctly.

The openings for the harness lugs is def larger than the lugs.
I took it apart and tried again, but have the same results.

I would really like to run the reel topless, but the openings mean I have to use the top post.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

RowdyW

Wrong lugs??? I think the lugs should be .080" thick.       Rudy

SearedTuna

Not sure Rudy? They were the lugs that came in the kit from Tom, and I tried stock lugs with the same issue.
I also have another set of plates, so will try those lugs before I reach out to Tom. I just wanted to see if this had happened to anyone else?
Being in Okinawa makes it a bit of a chore with the time difference and 2 week arrival time.

Wompus Cat

Assuming these side plates use the inner Chrome ring ? Did you put them on ?
If they do not require the Ring  then measure the depth of the cut for the lugs and compare that to the old set as well as the second  set you say you have . May have been machined too deep .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: SearedTuna on October 04, 2021, 05:04:54 AM
I just put together a 115 9/0 with Cortez side plates and frame. Everything went together well until I tightened everything up....
The issue is that the harness lugs are both very loose, and the post has no play so the screws are buttoned down correctly.

The openings for the harness lugs is def larger than the lugs.
I took it apart and tried again, but have the same results.

I would really like to run the reel topless, but the openings mean I have to use the top post.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Morning!
The lugs should fit snugly with a little movement possible depending on the tolerance stack. Usually with a little grease, any movement is unnoticed. If there's a lot of movement, try a couple thou shim.

Please contact me thru my website, I'm not always checking this forum.
Thanks,
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

SearedTuna

Quote from: Wompus Cat on October 04, 2021, 01:52:29 PM
Assuming these side plates use the inner Chrome ring ? Did you put them on ?
If they do not require the Ring  then measure the depth of the cut for the lugs and compare that to the old set as well as the second  set you say you have . May have been machined too deep .
I am using the CC frame with the plates also being CC. Am I supposed to use the inner ring??

Wompus Cat

Well I am not familiar with the 9/0 but I think it depends on how your plates fit in the Frame whether the Frame has the cut-outs for the Lugs or the Side plates . If you can post some pix We can help you figure whaddup me thinks.
I have built several Tiburons with Cortez Plates ,Stock Plates and Lee Pro and some are Different as to whether you need the inner Rings or Not .

Wompus Cat

I just looked over on Cortez Conversions Site and took a Peek at one of his Complete reels and it shows both Chrome Rings installed but with Stock side Plates sooooooo If you have the same Rig you need the Rings to take out the Slack on the Lugs like I was thinkin in the begin.

A pic would REELY help here to help you .

Swami805

Mine are loose too, not a great fit. I have them turned upside down, I don't use them,just plugging the hole
Chrome rings won't fit and no use for them with Tom's plates
Do what you can with that you have where you are

SearedTuna

Quote from: Wompus Cat on October 04, 2021, 11:24:33 PM
I just looked over on Cortez Conversions Site and took a Peek at one of his Complete reels and it shows both Chrome Rings installed but with Stock side Plates sooooooo If you have the same Rig you need the Rings to take out the Slack on the Lugs like I was thinkin in the begin.

The side plates I am using are CC plates, so not using the rings.

SearedTuna

Quote from: SearedTuna on October 04, 2021, 11:29:02 PM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on October 04, 2021, 11:24:33 PM

The side plates I am using are CC plates, so not using the rings.
Is your frame backwards?
So I can flip them and they wont hit the spool inside? That would be awesome to omit the lugs and top post all together!
Where can I find the screws you are using for the plates? I like the idea of the hex head screws with the beefy collar!

SearedTuna

Quote from: Swami805 on October 04, 2021, 11:27:50 PM
Mine are loose too, not a great fit. I have them turned upside down, I don't use them,just plugging the hole
Chrome rings won't fit and no use for them with Tom's plates
This is the pic for my last question, but both examples look like the frame is reversed, or I have mine wrong....?

Wompus Cat

If you have the Same Frame as Swami and Plates then you you are gonna have to talk to Cortez to  see if they make Thicker Lugs or  Shim yours or have a Nice Rattle when you shake it .

Here is another view from Cortez with their plates on it . Nice Looking Rig .

SearedTuna

That is the exact rig I have. Ice Blue with the black frame. I have an offset Pro Challenger handle with Penn T-knob coming for it.
Gonna be used for Wahoo and Big Mahi!

Wompus Cat

If it looks as good as that I would go Fishin and Forget about a lil wiggle in the Lugs ...... ;D