SG47LCA ?

Started by AllenW, January 22, 2012, 03:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenW

I'm just getting into great lakes fishing and started to buy equipment for it, I picked up 4 used Penn GTI320 and through this website have gone through and cleaned and re greased them, I also just picked up 2 new and 4 used Diawa Sealine SG47LCA reels and have a 27LCA that was used for three ways trolling on the Mississippi Pool 4.

I'm looking for two things, is there any mods I should consider, such as drag washers, internal parts and such and is there any tricks to getting these apart and more importantly back together again?
I did a search and didn't find anything on mods, and I think there's another reel tutorial that's similar to the 47LCA but am not sure which one it is.

I'll take pictures and such, just trying to make it a bit easier.
TIA

Al

Bryan Young

Start with http://www.daiwa.com/PartsDiagram/PartsDiagram/SG27LCA-47LCA.pdf.  It's the schematic diagram for your reels.  I think Alan has these.   The best thing to do is to change the drags out to grease carbon fiber drags, either Carbontex or HT-100s, whichever is easier to get.  For HT-100s, contact Scott's Bait and Tackle. For Carbontex, contact Dawn at Smoothdrag.  For HT-100s, you have to measure the drags and match something up with on the list that Alan prepared http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0.   You could also do this with Carbontex at http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1016.0 (but I believe that Dawn will be able to get you the set without the measurements).  The drag grease, you can get it from both Scott's and Smoothdrag.

Good luck.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

AllenW

Thanks, I'll email Dawn, there's another couple of spinning reels I'd like to change drags on.

I noticed a couple of the reels say Great Lakes on them and are just LC and not the LCA the others are.  ???
Maybe different reel ratio's or ??

Al

zward

Hi Allen, we do a lot of salmon fishing on lake michigan, we mainly run Okuma Convectors but have one daiwa SG47LCA that we use as a dipsy setup. The reel is great but one thing they are in bad need of is a power handle. The stock handles they come with just dont seem long enough IMHO, it can be a real dog fighting a big king on these. I think Tuna Toms reel repair sells a power handle that I'll definitely be ordering before the season starts. Any questions on setups or fishing shoot me a PM, salmon fishing over there is about as addicting as it gets!

Zane

AllenW

Quote from: zward on January 22, 2012, 09:59:06 PM
Hi Allen, we do a lot of salmon fishing on lake michigan, we mainly run Okuma Convectors but have one daiwa SG47LCA that we use as a dipsy setup. The reel is great but one thing they are in bad need of is a power handle. The stock handles they come with just dont seem long enough IMHO, it can be a real dog fighting a big king on these. I think Tuna Toms reel repair sells a power handle that I'll definitely be ordering before the season starts. Any questions on setups or fishing shoot me a PM, salmon fishing over there is about as addicting as it gets!

Zane

Thanks, I'll look into the handles.

I'll be fishing mostly Superior either out of Superior Wisc or along the wester side, Two Harbors, Duluth, Grand Marias, but hope to get to Mich a couple times next summer.

Al

Dominick

Quote from: zward on January 22, 2012, 09:59:06 PM
I think Tuna Toms reel repair sells a power handle that I'll definitely be ordering before the season starts.
Zane

Zane: I don't know what kind of power handles Tuna Toms has but I really like Smoothdrag's and Alan's handles.  check this thread.   Dominick
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1291.0
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

zward

Gotcha yeah agree with you on that, just got one of alan's handles for a Sealine 900H its gonna be pretty sweet. I was more talking about the length of the handle bar, not so much the handle itself. I can deal with the smaller knob, just seems like the handle arm is short and doesn't give the cranking torque I'd like for reeling in dipsy divers all day long

alantani

daiwa makes a $17 power handle, and i've been drilling out the grip and bolting on one of the $26 kolekar grips.  it adds up fast!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

zward

That'd be a slick setup. If I didn't have so many convectors laying around I'd fork out the dough for that..