349H Gear Sleeve

Started by therieldeal, January 23, 2012, 06:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

therieldeal

Newbie here... just picked up a 349H with the Newell "Wahoo special" kit installed.  Pretty neat reel!  It has a wide aluminum spool, aluminum base, etc.  Unfortunately there are some problems.  The drags are frozen/locked up, and the handle is loose – it appears the gear sleeve is partially stripped.  I can still get a new brass one for ~$16, but I was wondering if a stainless one from some other model (senator 114 or 115?) might fit?  Once I get it apart i'll take some diameter, bore, & length measurements of the existing sleeve.  If anyone else could take these measurements from similar senator parts that would really help me to figure this out...

Thanks!

alantani

mysticparts.com has some 98-349 gear sleeves left.  i'm all out.  check them out.  alan

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

therieldeal

Thanks for the fast reply Alan!  That's where I saw the brass sleeves for $16ish.  I was hoping that maybe a stainless sleeve for some other model could be made to fit.  I plan to use the reel for land based shark fishing... also going to hopefully upgrade the drag stack to a 5+1 with carbontex washers (with instructions I found in an old thread here :))

richie668:
Thank You for everyone's input I was able to make this dragstack of 5 carbontex#2662 carbon fiber washers, 1 set of 349-h Thick stainless 3 drag set,1 keyed stock metal washer 1 slotted stock metal 349h drag washer, & 1 ht-100 113h drag washer behind the main gear. The end result a bottom  fishing machine!  Dawn at smoothdrag was very helpful & able to figure out tolerances dimensions etc. She put together an Exact fitting Set.

George4741

Welcome to the forum!  
I also think 349's are pretty neat.  I installed a 1+5 drag stack on my 349H and beefed it up with 501 spacer bars.  I think it's quite impressive.  

I hesitate to tell you the following, as your mileage may differ, but here goes.  The gear sleeve is very similar in size to the 113H, key #98-320.  In fact, I installed a gear sleeve out of an old 113H in my 349H and it works fine.  The only difference between the two is that the ratchet portion of the 98-349 gear sleeve has a slightly larger diameter.  Just check the dog to ensure it properly engages the gear sleeve.  It may need some minor file work.  Based on my experience, a stainless 98-320 gear sleeve may also fit.

Keep us updated on the progress of your reel, as I'm very interested.
George
viurem lliures o morirem

therieldeal

Thank you for the tip, George!  When i made my first post i hadn't yet taken things apart... i did so this evening and the gear sleeve actually seems to be fine.  The problem was more that the hole in the handle was too large.  I swapped it to the other hole and the amount of play is greatly reduced.  Unfortunately there is some serious rust inside the main gear, the drag washers are all frozen/rusted inside... it's soaking in WD40 right now, but I'm not holding out much hope.  There are some brand new main gears on ebay right now for only $8 each, so i just ordered one. 

This reel actually came with a partial second "Wahoo Special" kit.  I received an extra set of Newell aluminum bars and base, but no spool. 

therieldeal

What sort of finish did Newell used to use on their spools and bars?  I assumed it would be anodized aluminum, but the finish is actually flaking on my spool.  I've never seen an anodized finish flake before.

Alto Mare

therieldeal, where did you purchase that reel? Anodized finish does not flake off, I'm thinking that someone probably spraypainted that spool to make it look pretty. I wouldn't be surpriced.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

therieldeal

Ebay, where else :)

I'll pull the spool out and try a chemical paint stripper, we'll see how it goes.  I was planning to powdercoat the bars, but I'm not sure how it would hold up on the spool.  Thoughts?

George4741

Quote from: therieldeal on January 26, 2012, 06:04:42 PM
Ebay, where else :)

I was planning to powdercoat the bars, but I’m not sure how it would hold up on the spool.  Thoughts?

There is a link on the Penn Parts website to a guy who powder coats fishing reels.  From his description, it sounds very durable.  I'm not affiliated with, nor am I endorsing him, either.

BTW how is your progress on the reel?
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Yeah, maybe you guys will have better luck contacting him. I was looking to get the outer rings powder coated, to match the tiburon frames and never heard back from him.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Snagged2

Any powder coater should be able to get the job done,, especially one that works with hot rod cars, motorcycles, etc..

Keep in mind, it's basically plastic,, it's fairly tough, but, I have no idea how it would hold up against line abrasion..

Also, it's thicker than chrome or anodizing, so, it's crucial that critical areas are masked off, or you'll spend some time relieving tight areas.  ;D

alantani

sorry, guys, that should actually be a #98-320 gear sleeve!

redsetta

Quote...it's crucial that critical areas are masked off, or you'll spend some time relieving tight areas.
Good advice Greg - been there, done that with motorcycle parts and it's no fun compromising a nice finish.  ;)
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

George4741

Quote from: therieldeal on January 23, 2012, 06:20:01 PM
it appears the gear sleeve is partially stripped.  I can still get a new brass one for ~$16, but I was wondering if a stainless one from some other model (senator 114 or 115?) might fit?  Once I get it apart i’ll take some diameter, bore, & length measurements of the existing sleeve.  If anyone else could take these measurements from similar senator parts that would really help me to figure this out…

Thanks!

Yes, it can be done.  Here is how I installed a 98-320 stainless steel gear sleeve in my Penn 349.      

Here are the old and new gear sleeves side-by-side.

And another view.  Note that the ratchet on the old one is slightly larger in diameter than the s/s one.

Note how the extra tooth on the dog catches the cog of the gear sleeve, not allowing the dog to properly function.  This must be filed down so both teeth on the dog will properly and simultaneously engage the ratchet.

This is where the dog must be filed for proper fit.

So, if you want to replace your old gear sleeve with a stronger stainless steel one, it can be done.
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

that was alot of work.  thank you!