Penn 500

Started by shootera3, January 24, 2012, 01:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootera3

I recently purchased a Penn 500 with Newell bushings, spacer bars and spool.I completey took apart and cleaned the reel. Greased everything and add new HT-100 washers. After putting all back together their is a slight grinding sound. When in free spool no sound, when I remove right side plate and turn, no sound. The reel spool is about 1/4 wider than normal spool, marked CN. The space bars and reel seat are also larger.All the add ons are Newell. Any help, Thanks Steve.

Keta

Try holding the spool and turning the handle to engaged the gear.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

shootera3

I tightened up on the drag and held the spool. When turning crank I got a continuous rumbling sound. Any answers.

Keta

Is the pinion gear in backwards?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

shootera3

I checked the pinion gear, it was in correctly. I took off the right side and listened closely, it sounds like the noise is coming from the dog. could  the spring be loose or dog worn? The anti-reverse still works right.

Tile

Check the gear sleeve and the dog to ensure correct mating between the dog face and the ratchet on the gear sleeve. Also check the fit between the main gear and the dog sides.
In solid fiberglass we trust

shootera3

Th was worn bad, replaced it, sounds good. Thanks