Should I Buy Ambassadeur Royal Express And 5000D?

Started by Walleye Guy, October 29, 2021, 12:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walleye Guy

I have a lead on a 2500C Ambassadeur reel (been searching for one for awhile) and it turns out that the seller also has a Royal Express (5000 family, late 90's vintage) with fast cast for $50 and a green 5000D for $40 and an old Ocean City "Bay City" 250 for $10.  The Royal Express has misc minor scratches but not much boat rash, the 5000D has a fair amount of boat rash but it's not awful and the Ocean City reel (which I know absolutely nothing about) has a lot of chrome.  I know the Royal Express family has the 6.3:1 ratio but other than that are they anything special?  What is the purpose of the slide switch on the LH side (opposite the crank handle)?  What do you fellas think of the prices?  Do I "need" more reels?  Ha, no but I know this is the place to get grace from others who also fall off the wagon.  Winter is coming, though, so they would be fun to rebuild because I'll have some downtime.  The Ocean City reel would almost be worth it just to polish the chrome spool and see it shine again.  :)  Thanks in advance for any advice, all you guys are great and I love this forum.  ps: I'm supposed to give him an answer today so please respond soon. 

Donnyboat

I would buy the lot, with all this down time you have coming, you could restore them & sell what you dont need, to cover the cost of the others, the Bay City reels are really great vintage reels , good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Wompus Cat

Well the Royal Express if late style  Black with the  Thumb Plate on top is within the current sales value .
The Green 5000D is also in Range  and the Ocean City Bay City if the spool is as nice as you say it is is Definitely a Steal at 10 bux . They made a GOB of those reels under different names but the Same Reel and the are Work Horses .You will find that later manufactures have a lot of similarities through the years of this Reel. You did not mention the price of the 2500C but they are well sought after and range from 20 to 200 on current price  depending on Condition ,Box ,Papers ,Tool Kit etc.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

tincanary

That 2500C would make a fine BFS reel.  Its actually that one that started it all.  The Japanese originally modified the reel for mountain stream trout fishing, and some years down the line manufacturers started offering BFS reels to consumers.  In your shoes, I'd buy them all, keep the 2500C, sell the rest, then get a BFS spool, mag brake, and some micro spool bearings.  It would be a fine reel.  https://fishingdiscoveries.com/ambassadeur-2500c/

Walleye Guy

Wompus Cat, the Bay City reel has some blemishes but I don't see a lot of evidence of saltwater.  I'll post some pictures of each so everyone can see and comment.  The 2500C is $100 and it's very clean but without any of the accessories you mentioned.  I actually have two already but they're pretty rough and I've always wanted a clean one.

tincanary, thanks for that link.  You've got me thinking about BFS fishing and I actually just responded to one of your replies on a different post about a 5000C.  In my response I asked about an older Shimano Black Magnum that I have.  I'm a big fan of original "design intent" (confession: I'm giving away my engineering background) but I'm certainly not opposed to modifying a reel.

Wompus Cat

The curved Cross Bar on the OC actually goes on Top of the other Bar .
If you look Close it has a Flat sspot on the Bottom . Good Looking Reel !

Like This

steelfish

Quote from: Walleye Guy on October 29, 2021, 12:45:32 PM
  Do I "need" more reels? 

you're asking in the wrong place.
that question does not have a place in this site.

Dannyboat already gave you the correct and only answer, Get the LOT

PS: joking aside, yes, get the lot, 3 years ago, I asked to the at.com ohana if I really needed a Baja Special reel, ended up getting 3 of them in couple of years.
The Baja Guy

Wompus Cat

Quote from: steelfish on October 29, 2021, 04:40:41 PM
Quote from: Walleye Guy on October 29, 2021, 12:45:32 PM
  Do I "need" more reels? 

you're asking in the wrong place.
that question does not have a place in this site.

Dannyboat already gave you the correct and only answer, Get the LOT

PS: joking aside, yes, get the lot, 3 years ago, I asked to the at.com ohana if I really needed a Baja Special reel, ended up getting 3 of them in couple of years.

There is a Song about this  at least this is what I hear when it plays

Sometimes, all I need is the air that I breathe
And to Have  All the Reels I can Buy

All I need is the air that I breathe
And to Get  them when the Price ain't too High

All I need is the air that I breathe
I keep getting them till they Reach to the Sky

Pretty Sure those are the Words but my Hearing arn't too Good neither.

Walleye Guy

Wompus Cat, I'm sitting here at my desk at work laughing out loud at your song lyrics.  Thanks for the good laugh!

Walleye Guy

Well, "the deed is done" as Shakespeare said in Macbeth and the reels should arrive within a week.  Thank-you all for the input and advice.

Brewcrafter

I liked and respect what tincanary had to say.  And while I have a lone Abu 5500AL that is my freshwater bass outfit, but I must admit that I am intrigued....they can be hotrodded?  (Rabbit hole opening in 3..2..1..) - john

thorhammer

There are thousnds of dollars of hotrodding that can happen on an Abu. Royal Express wa sa great buzz bait / spinner bait reel.

IMO the original Ryobi V-Mag I was as close to a light bait caster as ever was. I can wrap my hand fully over and around one.

oc1

Those V-mag have to be the smallest baitcaster ever.  Tiny things that can handle most freshwater and inshore stuff.  They don't play well with saltwater though.  The first thing to go is the aluminum spacer that separates the gear sleeve from the side plate hole.  I still go back to them occasionally.