Taking good fishing rod pictures

Started by JasonGotaProblem, November 04, 2021, 12:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Has anyone stumbled upon the secret to success for taking good pictures of a fishing rod? Specifically how can one capture a rod in ideally one or maybe two pics to meaningfully depict how awesome it is? I mean initial logic says that if billion dollar companies with well funded dedicated marketing teams haven't cracked that egg yet what hope do we have?

But at the same time I feel like people here have perfected things that those billion dollar companies either still struggle with or can't be bothered to dedicate the resources to addressing. So maybe there's hope.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

thorhammer

oldmanjoe

???  You were looking at the picture , but you didn't see the picture !!!!!!
  Use your minds eyes .........
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

philaroman

digital scanners produce AWESOME images (of art & such), but how do you scan a rod ???
maybe, oldschool pro film photographer...  then, scanner...  seems too fiddly & expensive

foakes

For me —

First —

Never use a cell phone camera — use a digital camera, iPad, or tablet. Doesn't need to be expensive equipment — just high resolution.

Use good lighting.

Use a good background that reflects the light — while providing contrast to the rod — like a white board such as 1/4" Melamine.

Just (6) photos — entire rod standing up from a distance, closer one with the entire rod still standing up, (4) close ups of the various important features of the rod...reel mounting hardware, any identifying numbers, guides, thread work.

That's about the best I can do.  If you or someone else needs more info — additional pics can be sent.

It is the same way with reels for me — good white light box, entire reel from a few feet back, close up of entire reel, then the topside, bottom, left side, right side.

Some folks do 15 or 20 pics — not necessary initially, IMO.  Just (6) good ones.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

Of the few non terrible full rods pics ive taken, one that stands out to me, conceptually, is where I did a panorama pic (with cell camera) of the rod. The pic ended up wavy because I was walking along with phone in hand, but if I had some kind of track that the camera slid down, that effect would be mitigated.

This is not a pressing issue for me, just a point of curiosity since it seems almost every online store's rod pics are terrible.

One thing I do like though is how basspro always includes a pic of all the handle variations side by side and indicates which handle each model would come with.

otownjoe

The best way to take a picture of a fishing rod is with a bend in it.  :D    I've also had good luck using a cheap clip on light with a white shower cap over it. It's a poor man's lighting trick I found on the internet.

steelfish

I dont know what exactly are you after when saying a "good fishing rod picture".
do you mean when the rod is in action and actually been fishing or fighting a fish or just a picture to show how your recently wrapped rod is looking before getting some battle scars.

I dont have any secret but some members have said few times that some my fishing rod pictures look pretty good.
contrary of what our amigo Fred just said about taking just 6 good pictures, I do what some professional photographers do, take 2 o 3 pictures of the same angle with just a minimal angle/movement of the hand or of the rod, then take a close up picture of the guide and take another 2 or 3 shots (of the camera not tequila), same with reelseat, etc, etc. at least one pic of each bunch will look decent, from the total of the pics maybe 2 or 3 will be great picture because of the natural lighting, perfect angle, etc.

eventho I have a nice DSRL Nikon D5500 I've never used it for taking pictures of the rod jobs I make but surely they would awesome, the quality of that camera is amazing ;D, my cell phone camera is enough to show the work, specially if if let you select to focus on something in the background or something infront.

formula:
- Steady hand              30%
- flat color background  20%
- camera                      30%
- lighting                      20%

a professional photographer will differ on those % of course.

The Baja Guy

Wompus Cat

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

JasonGotaProblem

When I wrote the initial question I was thinking as a pic of the whole rod, but I'm certainly not upset if this discussion broadens.

And I realized the best way to show off my newest creation is the "after" pic. This is truly lipstick on a pig but i love it.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on November 04, 2021, 06:58:14 PM
When I wrote the initial question I was thinking as a pic of the whole rod,

the whole rod in one pic ?  yep, thats difficult, the rod is pretty thin and large causing the details of the rod to  get lost between the wide open pic and background or surroundings
The Baja Guy

Lunker Larry

Is it just detail or long view too?
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

steelfish

those rod holders look pretty heavy duty  :o :o
The Baja Guy