Old stuck reel seat ferrules--HELP

Started by Cuttyhunker, November 07, 2021, 09:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

Over the winter I'll acquire classic tackle in Florida and return it to New England for resale in the summer, in support of my reel habit.  Many of the rods are ferruled at the real seat and not disassembled for many years.
How you you guys get them apart?
Bullseye likes a heat gun, torches discolor the finish, and reports a puff of smoke (like torching a tip top) when ready to come apart.
Removing the bottom handle from the seat and drive it out with a dowel is another method I've heard.
They transport easier and cheaper when shorter, so what tricks are there for these bigger ferrules?
Thanks,
Bob

Doomed from childhood

oldmanjoe

I have used the same protocol .    I stand the stick up and warm the reel seat with heat gun and spray the rod ferrule with penetrating oil first .
   This helps cool the ferrule to shrink it , leaving the reel seat warm to expand .   IF it doesn't move in a few tries ,i pull the buttt   and drive it out with a dowel .      Use a dowel  with a close diameter as possible , too small and all you will do is expand the ferrule some times .
              Yes  that puff of smoke means you are close to success !!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Jeri

We often get carbon ferrules stuck together, especially after a busy December fishing season, and loads come into our rod shop looking for an answer to the stuck problem. Though our issues aren't based on slight corrosion, but shear physical adhesion and possibly grime and salt.

The usual answer is to place the offending joint in the freezer for an hour or so, just open up the lid of a chest freezer and lay the joint in the top. Probably equally viable with a stuck boat rod. The significant drop in temperature is enough to shrink the make section and a strong lateral pull with a slight twisting motion is usually enough to pop the stuck joint. Worth a try with your stuck joints before running the risk of applying heat.

gstours

Thanks Jeri for the opposite approach.   Cold/vs/Heat n crossed fingers 🤞😺

Jeri

Been aware of the problems of hot and cold for a good few years now. When we used to travel to Angola for fishing from the UK, rods in our hold luggage were always placed out on the deck of the lodge before assembling, to warm up. Had seen too many rods impatiently put together as people arrived, then just before they were due to leave totally unable to get the rods apart. The cold components from their hold luggage had expanded hugely in the heat after assembly, and were the finest and strongest engineering fit............. :(

We often make the mistake of thinking that a certain remedy is the right direction, when potentially the opposite is the better route.

oc1

I'm with Joe.  Cool the male part that you want to shrink and heat the female part that you want to expand.  That would involve freezing everything and then rapirly heating the female side before the male expands again.  A torch with a light touch will heat more rapidly than a hot air gun.  A minute or so after heating the male is no longer shrunken and you would have to start over.

Cuttyhunker

Thank you gents. I'll be applying your methods, in addition to the seat ferrules, a few rod ferrules, and one stubborn cheapo K-Mart collapsing into itself that has one joint that won't budge.  I'm also thinking about using a ratcheting load strap between 2 anchor points to apply more horsepower to the separating force applied.  I've seen youtube vids of having a pal face to face with you, both gripping opposite sides of the ferrule, thereby applying double force to pop apart the ferrule. While an aspirin is good for a headache, and two may be better, however the whole bottle not so much, I'm inclined to approach this method in moderation.   
Doomed from childhood

Cuttyhunker

A little update on rod, not seat ferrules, that are stuck.  I read in my perusing's that rubber household gloves that the ladies use, like the Playtex brand, increase ones gripping power on the sides of the blank, which it certainly felt like, but no joy for me on the separation.  I took one glove, starting at the cuff, wrapped it maybe 8 or 10 times around the blank on the tip side, until the fingers all became little balloons.  Grabbing the wrapped glove with a decent set of pliers, my other hand went to the handle at the reel seat and rotated against the static pliers.  Both rods I tried this on turned noisily at first then came apart. 
I think I'll slice some of the old gloves into strips to try gripping those stubborn reel cross posts.   
Doomed from childhood