smoooothdrags for pro-gear 540

Started by boo, January 24, 2012, 09:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boo

What washers are correct for a pro-gear 540 if I want to go 5+1?  I realize that the reel has 4/0 size washers, but the SmooothDrag website lists a 4 washer set that is described as "thick".

Bryan Young

You will need the Penn 113H Thin Set of 6 for $17.00.  I'm not sure the thickness of your metal washers.  To be sure, I'd recommend ordering a set of metal washers as well if she still has them.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

john2244

I may be wrong but I don't think the PG 540 drags are the same as a  Penn 113H.  It may be worth checking before ordering.
John

Bryan Young

Oh, PG540 Albacore Special.  You are right John.  The PG540 Albacore Special on the other hand is a 3 + 1 washer set-up.  The washers are larger OD and a smaller ID.  I'll post the diemnsions when I get home.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

I believe that the 540 Albacore Special drag washer is 0.394" (10 mm) by 1.24" (31.6 mm) by 0.063" (1.62 mm). - ID by OD by thickness.

The other problem is the metal washers.  They are thick and we cannot locate thinner washers.  We contacted Randy to see if we could get additional washers and if they were available thinner.  We have yet to receive additional washers, and thinner washers are not available.

boo

The 540 is not an Albacore Special... I believe that it is an early model... there are no markings on it stating Albacore Special.  Would it be time to buy a micrometer to measure diameter and thickness?

redsetta

G'day Boo,
The Albacore Special came in a variety of sizes:
280 - 300yds 20#, 6:1
282 - 425yds 20#, 6:1
540 - 350yds 30#, 5:1 or 3.6:1
542 - 450yds 30#, 5:1 or 3.6:1
461 - 300yds 50#, 5:1
More detail here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=253.0
Hope that's of some assistance.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

If it's the old PG series, I'm not sure if PG actually labelled the PG540.  They labeled the PG541 and PG545, but I have yet to see PG540.  Of, if you have one, then it will probably fall between the PG541 and PG545, similar to the PG441, PG440, and PG454...well sort of...

The reels with a 1 as the last digit designated wide while the ones that ended with a 5 was narrow, or 54 for the PG400 series.

I've attached pictures of the PG sizes.  PG251, PG545, and PG440.  The PG251 utilizes Penn Jigmaster drags.  With carbontex and smoothdrag's thin metal washers, you can create a 5+1 stack in these reels.  The PG545 and PG440 both utilize Penn 4/0 drags and will accept a 5+1 drag stack.  Note that many of the PG series had a 3+1 drags stack that utilized those thick fiber washers with metal particles.  Therefore, if you need a 5+1 drags stack, you will need to buy the drag washers and metal drag washers as well as the 3+1 stack usually used thicker metal washers.

john2244

I believe the PG 461 listed above is known as the Wahoo Special.

redsetta

Awesome reels - love the Pro Gears.
Cheers for the pics Bryan.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

John, you are correct.  The PG461 is the wahoo special.

boo

Dawn

I have a Carbontex drag that is really close in size, the center hole is just a tad smaller, which could easily be sanded larger.

So, the problem would be the thickness, the PG ones are about .062, or about 1.5mm.  The washer I have is .040 or 1mm
So I imagine you reel guru's can figure out how to make this work?  There are 3 .062 washers in the original stack.

This is for the Albacore and Wahoo specials, outside diameter of:  31.70mm

Dawn

The PG's that used the Penn 113H washers would have the outside diameter of:  27.10
Dawn

Bryan Young

Boo, can you post a picture of your reel?  That will help in determining what drags you really need.

Dawn

I could tell by pictures of the drags which ones they are.
Dawn