Straighten a chainsaw bar

Started by Swami805, November 15, 2021, 07:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Not reel related but thought I'd see if the brain trust might have an idea of how to straighten a bent chain saw bar. It's a 47" bar and it still kind of works but doesn't cut straight.  A new one is about $400 so if there's a chance of fixing this one it's worth some hassle. Any ideas?
Thanks!!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Ron Jones

I've never tried to do it to anything anywhere near that big, and I've never really been successful at it. My best results have required three vises and a ball peen hammer, but I've never really gotten them "straight."

Good luck

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

PacRat

How badly is it bent? Will it show in a photo? I normally wouldn't mess with a bent bar but $400 is a lot! I would make a jig with high spots on the end with something to push down near the hump of the bar (sort of like how they straighten a blade on Forged In Fire).

Keta

Is it bent or is there a burr on the track?   If bent you can straighten it with a press, if it is burred you can file it off.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Swami805

It's bent, hard to see when you look down it but enough to make it unusable.   One of the boys got it pinched in a tree and bent it getting it out
What kind of shop would have a press that would work?

PacRat

Have you tried a local chainsaw shop? They have likely seen this before.

Keta

Quote from: PacRat on November 15, 2021, 09:58:16 PM
Have you tried a local chainsaw shop? They have likely seen this before.

Yup. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Midway Tommy

If it's a gradual bow you can block it on the concave side in two places six or eight inches away from the high spot on the arc. I would clamp the bar to the blocks. Then with a block on the convex side at the high point use a pipe or bar clamp and draw it gently towards straight or a very little past straight. Use something solid to draw against like the edge of the table or bench you are working on. It will most likely spring back a little the first time. Also, you may want to use a torch or heat gun to heat it up a little bit.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

Hard to say with out picture , but it can be done .    Some times it is easy with a half cut in a log , saw off and bend the bar in the opposite direction .
         And some times done with 2    2 by 4s and a c clamp .     I will tighten the chain  more than normal to avoid kinking the chain valley to straighten
         a bar  , than readjust chain .
   Check the chain a bent tooth will make a curved cut as well as dull teeth .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 16, 2021, 12:35:55 AM
If it's a gradual bow you can block it on the concave side in two places six or eight inches away from the high spot on the arc. I would clamp the bar to the blocks. Then with a block on the convex side at the high point use a pipe or bar clamp and draw it gently towards straight or a very little past straight. Use something solid to draw against like the edge of the table or bench you are working on. It will most likely spring back a little the first time. Also, you may want to use a torch or heat gun to heat it up a little bit.   

Tommy is Right on the Money here .
Depending on what the bar is  made of (ie) Grade of metal would make a repair recommendation different   however the basics of straightening any metal the basics are identical in that you need to reverse the impact that caused the bend in the first place with more energy beyond the bend . Meaning you need to push back beyond the plane to reverse the pressure on a linear application so when your repair is accomplished it will be flat again . It is most difficult to  explain  but I guarantee it Can be done if you consider the factors and have done it for 50 years ......lol
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Midway Tommy

Thanks, Henry.  :) One thing I forgot to mention is that when setting up the blocks make sure they are tall enough to prevent the bar from twisting. In other words, so they are at least as tall as the height of bar when standing on edge. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

A pinched bar(47"? man that's long) will often get a compressed area where the chain runners go through(what Joe's calling the "chain valley"?). If you get the bar straight, but it smokes as it heats-up(chain oil burning) or won't get up to normal high-speed, there could be that issue. I don't know if it could be fixed, but for $400 you godda try, I would.
Did the user have to run for it as the tree went backwards? No wedges, huh?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

The guy was in the tree being removed, we had to lower it down in pieces. He didn't get the back cut right and the bar got pinched. The bar got pinched when he was trying to get it out. It's a big powerhead (880) and weights alot, hard to get any leverage 20' off the ground.
We only have one saw shop it town and all the other ones within about an hours drive are owned by the same guy. They'd rather have you buy new stuff than fix what you have.
We have a small shop, I think I'll try the clamps and some heat.
Thanks for all your help, I'll let you know the results

Keta

Heat will alter the temper of the metal. 

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 16, 2021, 12:35:55 AM

This is what I meant by three vises. I always seem to go to far or not far enough. I also used the third vice as a "press" by opening it against the bar. I guess it is what we had.

Good luck
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"