Getting Ready for Powdercoating

Started by foakes, November 24, 2021, 09:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Haven't had much of a chance to complete the setup of a dedicated powder-coating shop & metal prep shop that were started earlier this year.

However, everything is now in place for Winter projects —

In addition to the coating equipment — the shop has a filtered powder booth with an exhaust fan, a blasting cabinet, grinder, press, drill press, accessories, cabinets, tables, an oven, and a few other things.

Dave (jurelometer) gave me a lot of help on a few key aspects of this PC process.

Just thought I would review the process before starting any projects — and also thought a few others might be interested in this video.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ron Jones

I am going to PC my first batch of cast bullets soon, probably in January. Watching the videos, it seems like the easiest and best lube and lets you run higher velocities. I'm hoping for a 300 Savage Arisaka that will throw 180s at 22-2300fps.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jurelometer

The blast cabinet was a good call,  Fred.   I am looking forward to learning more from  your experiences.  By now, you have coated way more reels than I have ever done.

For folks considering taking up powder coating:  It is not nearly as tricky as spraying  liquid paint, just like the guy in the video says.  But some of his advise is a bit sketchy about baking.  Ignore the first part about sticking it in the oven and "thirty minutes is fine, more is better".  You could end up scorching the finish.  Follow the next bit of advice on reading the instructions for the specific powder you are using. Follow the instructions religiously, and use a separate  temperature gauge in the oven and a IR temp gun on the parts.   The powder melts, the molecules cross link, and you end up with essentially a smooth plastic coating that has melted into the roughened surface of the part.

And hot flocking is considered a hack unless you are trying to coat a non conducting part and have no choice.

But otherwise thought the video was a pretty decent quick intro.

How about some photos of the finished product Fred?

-J

foakes

Quote from: jurelometer on November 25, 2021, 09:44:28 PM
The blast cabinet was a good call,  Fred.   I am looking forward to learning more from  your experiences.  By now, you have coated way more reels than I have ever done.

How about some photos of the finished product Fred?

-J

Actually haven't PC'd any yet, Dave —

Got too many irons in the fire between 11/1 & 1/1 —

Stopped taking in reel restorations and servicing from clients until after January 3rd so I can get the backlog of restorations, new builds, and servicing knocked out.

Got a project started to install a SteelMaster 72 drawer cabinet in the upper reel room.

Organizing 8 trout tackle boxes into one for the boat, one for the trailer, one for the camper, one for trolling rigs for browns, rainbows, and kokanee, one small, one for back-packing and day hiking to include preferred reels and rods.

Plus the holidays and other personal projects over the next 40 days.

Powdercoating should start just after the First of the year.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.