An Amazing Reel Tool

Started by foakes, December 09, 2021, 01:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Over the past week, I have been using a new tool I picked up.

A 5" Knipex Plier-Wrench.

For me, it takes the place of a few tools — Crescent Wrench, box end wrench, pliers, channel locks — and does a much better, quicker operation — with no damage to fragile, vintage parts.

The jaws are thin to get into small places.

The jaws stay exactly parallel.

There are no teeth to mar the nut or part — the finish is bead-blasted, and smooth.

The push-button adjustment is one-handed.

Only issue with the tool — I did not get one when I was 20 — so I could have used it for a lifetime.

Made in 🇩🇪 Germany.

These come in (1) smaller size which is too small for my hand — and 4 or 5 larger sizes.

It is a rock-solid, no-nonsense, and clever tool.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

swill88

Knipex have become my go-to  tools for electrical work.  I shop online at KC tool. But check the price first they're not always the best.
https://www.kctool.com/

tincanary

I will have to get a pair, you've really turned me on to Knipex tools Fred.  I'm also a big fan of their straight and curved grabbing pliers, makes it easy peasy to remove and install small springs or get into tight to reach spots.  Their round nose pliers are really nice too, actually used mine to repair a damaged spool not long ago.  The spool was dropped and the pliers made it easy to bend the lip back to a round shape.  Any other pliers would've done more damage.

jgp12000

Looks like a good tool to have, who has the best price?

foakes

There are a lot of places that have it for $48+ with free shipping.  Some places have it for $6 or $12 more.

A few places have it for a couple of bucks under $48 — but they appear to be bundlers or just not established firms with questionable ratings.  And some of the firms showed very slow shipping.

I bought mine from B&B Hardware in Florida.  Ordered, shipped immediately, arrived 2 days later.  Free shipping.  

Lots of inventory/supply chain issues right now with some products.

Just got to shop a little to find the best combo of price, shipping, and availability.

Mine came through the sellers store on eBay — which is generally not your best bet because they oftentimes hide the shipping cost in the price by jacking it up.  But in this case — it was a straight-shooter operation.  

I also ordered another Knipex tool — and within 10 hours they cancelled the order and refunded me a credit on my card — although they showed with their tracking that both tools were in the same shipment up through delivery to me.  Must have been some sort of glitch — because their reason was a bad address — although the exact information on the other tool arrived with no issues.  Anyway — honest firm.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarkT

I have the 150 and 250 (6" & 10") sizes.  Great tools.  Plier wrench is the perfect name since that's what they are!

I really like their Cobra water pump pliers too.  I don't use my Channel locks anymore!

I'm going to get a pair of Knipex Twin Grip pliers too once they're back in stock... seem to be better than the Vampliers.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!