An experiment, and maybe something new

Started by JasonGotaProblem, December 14, 2021, 03:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

So I was playing with an idea, and the end result worked out pretty interesting. I haven't seen this done elsewhere but that may be because I'm not searching the right terms.

What I did was take the rod, apply a thin coat of epoxy, then started sprinkling on colored mica powder, generally in clump form, shook off the excess then applied heat to melt it in. The first time I did it with a much thinner epoxy layer and it came out better, this time i went thicker and more powder stuck, and I see some bumps that I wanna go over With a clear coat next. With a thinner layer the excess just falls off. I'll post a pic of the first version when the pic upload is fixed, but i shot a video to be able to show it before that.

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

thorhammer

Modified marbling technique. looks good. I've put such into finish for guide wraps.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

JasonGotaProblem

Yeah i didn't think anything that easy to accomplish wouldn't have been discovered by now. I'm definitely gonna play around a bit more with this.

This is on my kid's rod. He's gonna be stoked.

thorhammer

Ya know, that may even be more interesting as a finish on a lure...either primary or a refurbish...what looks more like scales than irredescent mica flakes....put a popper blank in a rod turner and see what happens.

Gfish

Yeah a Christmas Wrasse imitation(an actual Wrasse species on the reef here).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

Two -three coats of clear to bury the glitter .
   You can use a tooth pick to move the clumps around .   Light will play on what you see ....     Sun light says HELLO.
   Glitter ,nail polish with glitter or duck   tape with glitter .                                 

Some Days i look like a Jedi  , and some times i look like Zeus throwing lightening bolts .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

happyhooker

Outta sight--be careful with the the heat.

Frank

philaroman

do ya' wanna catch fish or crabs?  ...i.e.,
are ya' makin' a Striper pole or a Stripper pole?
:o :o :o

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on December 15, 2021, 04:17:05 AM

You my good sir just won the internet.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: philaroman on December 15, 2021, 04:17:05 AM

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

well, Jason being a Floridian just outside the Morone saxatilis range,
I thought maybe a minor misspelling got him into all sorts of wrong reference materials

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on December 15, 2021, 03:54:52 PM
well, Jason being a Floridian just outside the Morone saxatilis range,
I thought maybe a minor misspelling got him into all sorts of wrong reference materials
As measured by clubs per square mile, apparently tampa is #1. Never been to any of them but I once met Joe Redner.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on December 14, 2021, 03:57:03 PM
.....I haven't seen this done elsewhere but that may be because I'm not searching the right terms.

What I did was take the rod, apply a thin coat of epoxy, then started sprinkling on colored mica powder..

thats the good thing about rod building, you can make your own desings, ideas, etc and give ^&%$ what the "accepted rules" of rodbuilding say.

I did something similar but just to have some sparkling on the blank not looking for a marbling or something alike, it was on a solid tip rod I had and wanted to rewraped it for my 6 y.o. daughter, she helped me to put the hearts stickers and to pour the sparkling dust on a light coat of epoxy, then after completely dry I put another coat of epoxy on the entire blank to have a smooth surface.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20515.0

the ended result looked pretty good, she loves that rod and actually caught a fish on it on the 1st time using it.

The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Alex that's beautiful.

I'm just thinking back to that abalone shrink wrap now and laughing. Sunlight pics below. 3rd pic was my first one with lighter epoxy layer. That's a surprise in the covered portion of a 2 part rod. I think theres merit to both the thick and thin approach, different end results.