Overcooking a blank

Started by JasonGotaProblem, December 18, 2021, 05:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Heating up guide wraps to remove them is normal right? How does one avoid going too far? Only do rod work when sober is step one apparently.

I just cooked and ruined a blank. Better a $20 lesson than a $200 lesson but it still hurts, and i wanna never make that mistake again.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

hair dryer on low...  if buzzed, you'll get bored & find something else to do, long before any damage

oc1

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on December 18, 2021, 05:21:13 AM
Heating up guide wraps to remove them is normal right?

Since when?  Won't it get gummy?

Midway Tommy

The object is to heat the finish just enough, and only enough, to soften it so you can peel/cut it away easily. Once you get to the thread it will usually just pop right off with the thread. I've never had a problem doing it, but then I never indulge when I'm trying to work on something. The two don't usually mix very well.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

???  Come on over and i learn you how to do both !!!!!!!!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Jeri

I try and avoid using any un-necessary heat on any rod work.

Removing guides is best done with a careful sober hand employing a sharp craft knife, cutting along the ridge of the wrapping on top of the foot of the guide. Cut both sides on a two foot guide, then twist to remove guide, and then just peel off the redundant wrapping. Might occasionally need further careful use of a knife to pick up an edge thread and carry on unwinding.

No heat needed. Preferred tool is a Stanley knife - big enough handle and stiff blade. Back of blade then used to scrape away any residual resin on the blank.

Cor

I do it precisely as Jeri says.
Cornelis

Swami805

I use a heat gun on low to soften the finish then a tiny slice at the end of the wrap.  Grab the end of the thread then un-wind under power. Won't gouge the blank that way
Do what you can with that you have where you are

JasonGotaProblem

Yeah that was a first and last time doing something non sober. Wasnt hammered but a few beers dulled my wits. I'm not much of a drinker in general anymore in general.

I tend to use a lighter to just barely soften the epoxy. Guess i got carried away. Thankfully it was a random cheap rod that I grabbed on a buzzed whim, not an important project.

So you guys don't use heat at all? Interesting. I guess I was way off.  But that's nothing new.

philaroman

I'm sure folks w/ years of experience can use metal,
but read somewhere that newbs like us should use a plastic knife to scrape blanks
disposable white/clear plastic didn't work at all -- just crumbled
non-disposable grey "better plastic" camping utensils worked GREAT
I think I have the old loose 4-pc. version of this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-3-Piece-Sturdy-Polystyrene-Spoon-Fork-and-Knife-Set/49332888

oc1

I use a pocket knife to cut off the guide and scrape the blank.  For old rods with varnish I scrape the entire blank. 

Dominick

Hey Steve, how come you are using an avatar of my friend Wayne?   ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

Because my old avitar was a fifteen-year-old photo and was becoming deceptive.  This captures my debonaire self image.  Besides, I'm more interested in chickens than reels now.

steelfish

Jason, how do you know you cooked and ruined the blank?

did the rod felt apart because of the heat?

I do use a lighter to soften the epoxy above the foot of the guides but 90% of the rods I restore are heavy duty/old saltwater glass rods, I will have hard time using the same technique on light and super thin freshwater rods, tho.

The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: steelfish on December 20, 2021, 06:09:14 PM
Jason, how do you know you cooked and ruined the blank?

did the rod felt apart because of the heat?

I do use a lighter to soften the epoxy above the foot of the guides but 90% of the rods I restore are heavy duty/old saltwater glass rods, I will have hard time using the same technique on light and super thin freshwater rods, tho.

After I removed the wraps I saw there was a noticeable kink to the rod at that location. I already knew it was trouble. I started to bend it a bit and it snapped at that spot immediately. There was no question.

I tried last night with no heat on the identical rod bought as a replacement, and it wasn't any more difficult. My methodology has officially been revised.