Advanced rod finishing techniques.

Started by gstours, December 21, 2021, 04:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As always,  we can learn things from others.   I was amazed at the skill shown in the videio below.    Time and talent makes a beautiful rod.
     Just watch,   and comment. :)

Sharkb8

A fish will see that rod and it will want  to be caught

Kim

thorhammer

Riy2018

JasonGotaProblem

Well, now i feel inadequate.

But I do take away 2 ideas from this that hadn't occurred to me previously for rod decor: gold/silver leaf, and airbrushing.

I lost count. How many layers of epoxy and urethane was that? Seemed like a lot.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

ReelFishingProblems

I'm mesmerized by this. It raises so many questions... two of them are:

1.) what is the effect on a blank for wrapping an entire blank and adding so many layers of epoxy (assuming it is very thin epoxy layering)

2.) this is so far outside the box of my thinking, what are the types of decorative foil this guy is using and can i start adding all kinds of things.

This is a great example of the intersection of art and fishing. I need to order a bunch of blanks

Riy2018

I have a technical question.
if rod has too many epoxy will it crack or break in time?
or if you fighting large fish.

oldmanjoe

;D  I have been following him for a while , He has mad skills and does it with minimal tools and space .
You have to play with getting it some what translated , but if you watch you will learn .
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVyHgQuH084&list=RDCMUCA3jb-vm-rwkh6S7i8T7Iyw&index=2
   This one he does a rebuild of a stick .
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFHUk3z9-y4&list=RDCMUCA3jb-vm-rwkh6S7i8T7Iyw&index=7
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

steelfish

I had seen many of the videos of that same guy, I found it searching some videos for my kid of the Anime "kitmetsu no Yaiba" (demon slayer), this rod builder made 2 or 3 rods with the theme of that Manga-Anime and yes, he took the custom work into an Art work.
The Baja Guy

oc1

boon

Quote from: oc1 on December 21, 2021, 07:04:21 PM
It's way too "busy" and baroque.

That's how high end rods are in that market. It's not really my cup of tea either but I appreciate the work that goes into it.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oc1 on December 21, 2021, 07:04:21 PM
It's way too "busy" and baroque.
Yeah I'm a bit more subtle in my tastes. And by that I mean I'm good with crazy colors and whatnot I just keep it at the base of the rod.

JasonGotaProblem

So I've finally worked up the courage to experiment with using silver leaf under marbling. And frankly I wish I'd started sooner, it adds a lot of depth. Still a work in progress, it'll look better with the final coat and the banding top and bottom