century stealth rod

Started by farmer56, December 24, 2021, 06:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer56

farmer56 here,,  has any one ever used fish307.com to order a rod???? looking to find a century stealth s-1 1205 spinning rod....    also any one with exp. with that model   .....10'  1-4 oz. rating     thanks dennis

Jeri

While not familiar with that model, Century have an outstanding reputation for making very high class surf blanks. Though because of the differences in styles, their US models are different to the UK models, the US models are more 'C' curve, than 'J' curve.

Good blanks, and usually very well built with higher end components, quality and performance before price ticket.

Hope that helps.

farmer56

Jeri thanks for the reply..   my biggest concern about rod is that it is not too stiff,,  i like fiberglass rods because with my casting  so called  "style"   fiberglass    is more forgiving  .... so the two rods i'm looking at is the century stealth or  ODM genesis ..  i know these are not fiberglass but i think they have a softer action to help my casting style ... thanks dennis   PS anybody ever use  fish307.com to order from ???

Jeri

As said, the Stealth range are made specifically for the US market, and are more 'C' curve, meaning they are more through action, than tip/fast action of 'J' curve; which is the predominant build of their more European style surf rods for distance casting with appropriate styles. The power of carbon blanks over older fibreglass designs, is often balanced out by slowing your casting action down a little to compensate.

farmer56

Jeri great explanation ....  even my 65 year old farming brain can process that .  thanks again dennis

philaroman

for a budget option with specs/action you seem to want, keep an eye out for Abu Garcia Workhorse 10' Surf
it's the short-lived (late 90's???) Abu version of Ugly -- better blank/handle/seat, IMO (surprisingly decent for a cheap rod)
and the worst, cheapest steel-insert guides...  which is fine for low-effort rebuild

farmer56

by any chance is that a 2 piece rod .....  thanks dennis

thorhammer

Farmer, no idea at all about that site, but if you want some real intel about how Century's perform for your style, call Ryan White at Hatteras Jack Outfitters. Third generation shop owner, casting champion, rod builder, Century dealer, and nice guy.

philaroman

Quote from: farmer56 on January 10, 2022, 05:54:33 PM
by any chance is that a 2 piece rod .....  thanks dennis

if you're asking about the Abu Workhorse -- YES...  very similar to old Howald Ugly BWS-1100(1102?) 
same specs; lighter in hand; better handle; worse guides that SCREAM for upgrade
just another (IMO, better) option, if you like the affordable composite w/ solid-glass tip
all getting harder to find & decent used ones cost more than original MSRP

farmer56

farmer56 here ...  well i have to report on the rod . i was not used to a 10' rod ..  you do not side cast!!!!!! lucky the anglers to the side of me just sat back ,and for my benefit did not break out laughing,      the learning curve was sharp but i swallowed my pride and kept casting ... the rod is right for me because the rod bends-flexes to help my poor casting style ..... i would not call the rod one bit whippy
   but had just a nice arc flex throwing a 3 oz piramid weight ... i caught one pompeno "spelling" at gulf shore alabama ... it was small but my wife and i did not see anything else caught ...  so moral of story crappy casting can work .... farmer56 out dennis

oc1

Great that it worked out because that was a risky move.  Those things are pricy,  What if you didn't like it?

Breadfan

Hatteras Jack has them too, finished or blanks. I was at the 2022 ICRBE (rod blanks and component show) in Winston-Salem NC. over the weekend and I talked to these guys. A very nice group located on the OBX in NC. It was a great show and if anyone is interested in seeing a lot of blanks, components, seminars, competions and world class builders, I urge you to make the trip next year. A great event and I won't miss another one!

https://hatterasjack.com/products/the-stealth

https://www.icrbe.com/

Breadfan

Quote from: philaroman on January 11, 2022, 04:15:18 PM
Quote from: farmer56 on January 10, 2022, 05:54:33 PM
by any chance is that a 2 piece rod .....  thanks dennis

if you're asking about the Abu Workhorse -- YES...  very similar to old Howald Ugly BWS-1100(1102?)  
same specs; lighter in hand; better handle; worse guides that SCREAM for upgrade
just another (IMO, better) option, if you like the affordable composite w/ solid-glass tip
all getting harder to find & decent used ones cost more than original MSRP

I've been fishing the "Thrasher Whip" and selling a few. It's about as close as you can get to the Ugly Stik, without the weight. Uses the Howald process but its a composite and it is not heavy. I built mine full length at 13'4" but the designer of the blank told me he cuts his down (from the butt) to 11' and it fishes great. It's become my 1# pompano catcher.
Very soft tip. Made in USA!
https://thrasherblanks.com/shop/ols/products/the-whip-11

Breadfan

Quote from: farmer56 on March 01, 2022, 12:00:48 AM
farmer56 here ...  well i have to report on the rod . i was not used to a 10' rod ..  you do not side cast!!!!!! lucky the anglers to the side of me just sat back ,and for my benefit did not break out laughing,      the learning curve was sharp but i swallowed my pride and kept casting ... the rod is right for me because the rod bends-flexes to help my poor casting style ..... i would not call the rod one bit whippy
   but had just a nice arc flex throwing a 3 oz piramid weight ... i caught one pompeno "spelling" at gulf shore alabama ... it was small but my wife and i did not see anything else caught ...  so moral of story crappy casting can work .... farmer56 out dennis

Good report. I'm always looking for the 'C" bend slower action blanks that are easy to cast!

farmer56

great point oc1 ,,,,  but living in the middle of  nothing  there are no rod shops stocking them...  also this would be just another long list of questionable  buys ...  experience is a cruel  swear word ... sooo why not add to the list !!!!!   Jeri was   a big  help .... Breadfan  your thrasher sounds like my style also ...  after seeing  multiple rods with each angler i will have to buy more ... will be talking to you latter for more specs.  thanks again for all the advice and support  farmer dennis out