* Need Help ** Recommend me a Blank for 100# line

Started by steelfish, December 24, 2021, 07:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

So, I have this request from a Friend but I dont have that much experience with blanks in order to make a good recommendation, he wants a good brand like Calstar, Seeker, UC but he will consider any other brand.

"I like a softer tip but a lot of back bone to pull I don't like being pinned to the rail I'll put 100#-120# on that rod with an avet real 2speed"
, its going to be used for 100# Tunas, Rod should be 7.6ft

notes:
- Actually he wants a 8ft rod but as far as I know USPS dont ship any rod from 8ft or bigger or will ship it for a really expensive fee, so my take is a 7.4 or 7.6ft for this job
- its going to be used on a 10-day trip from San Diego next March 2022
The Baja Guy

gstours

My chime in for a penny,   Calstar grafighter series have been very good to me.  You choose.   Should be available at several retailers.....   reasonably priced, powerful, and available.    Oar chech Seeker brand,      Get going buddy,   Christmas is coming.🎄

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

CooldadE

I was in the same boat. I wanted a rail rod for #100 line. I wanted a UC Viper but high cost and availability were issues. I settled on a Rainshadow RCTB 76XXH blank, found it locally for like $100, 7'6" and Rated 50-130...the UC 76 Viper costs $216. That left me $116 for guides etc. On the Rainshadow website they offer blueprints for their blanks with a detailed parts list and guide spacing. For that particular blank they offered conventional and spiral configurations for the guides. I am opting for a spiral wrapped rod... I used to wrap my own rods but age has caught up with me so I'll prob build out the handle / reel seat section and farm out the butt and guide wraps.
I realize the viper is a beast compared to the Rainshadow...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

steelfish

I will take a look on the UC viper and the rainshadow 76XXH, I just finished a RS RCJB90XH 7.6ft 40-80 and it felt pretty good, the owner like that much that ordered a 2nd one the next day he received the rod, so the 76XXH might be a good option too.
seems the only place to order a UC blank is Getbitoutdoors and they have a note to wait 4 weeks to have the blank delivered  :-\

The Baja Guy

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brewcrafter

Alex - Check with Charkbait, both them and Longfin have UC Blanks, however Longfin has currently suspended rod sales according to their website.  And if they do not seem to show the exact blank you are looking for - call them - they are both near to UC and I would guess would be happy to get exactly what you are looking for if it is possible. - john

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!