Servicing a Shimano Tiagra TI-50WLRSA

Started by retiredandfishing, December 31, 2021, 06:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

Trying to get an idea of what servicing problems this 2 speed TI-50WLRSA might present to me, before I consent to take them on.  Reason I'm not accepting these reels right now is that the owner is a commercial tuna guy with two large tuna boats and wants me to service 70 of them.  The only two speeds I've ever been into are Avet's and some Penns.  So I have no idea what I'm getting into other than looking at the schematic, which I have done. 

Not even a clue as to what to charge the customer or service.  I'm sure they entail more work than any reel I've serviced before.  Looked over the posts on this reel and can find no servicing posts, but I may have missed that somewhere.  I was up front with the customer about never having been into this reel but he is willing to give me a shot.  So I consented to look at one reel, which he will be bringing to the shop in a couple of days.  So wondering if anyone on the site has experience with these reels and can give me some insight into it in any way. 

Any help on this would be greatly appreciate.

Steve

gstours

Like anything a little experience would be nice,   Butt if you're already doing Avets, and Penn 2 speeds the Tiagras are I'm my experience easier to work on .   Very sturdy reels, you'll do fine.
   Parts availability might only be from Shimano USA.   
Hopefully others will chime in.    Good luck,   You'll be busy at home 🏡.   Happy new year.

Rothmar2

This will be a near enough guide...

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=25.0

How much trouble you will have will depend on the care that has been taken with them previously. Have they ever been serviced properly before?
If not, and have been fished straight out of the box, expect to have a quite a few right side plate bearings to replace. Shimano out of the box "pre-preparation" is very rudimentary (being kind here).
Lots of little screws that can quickly become seized if reels have not been looked after.
The plastic cover that the drag lever slides in is also a salt trap.
70 to service?! Gives me a headache thinking about this. But that's just me....

handi2

I've done hundreds of these reels and they are much easier than you would think. Much easier than any other manufacturer.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

retiredandfishing

Thanks for the replies.  I'll put more info on here after I go into the first one.  Sounds like I just need to get familiar with the reel.  The reels have not been taken care of very well. The owner is a very aggressive commercial tuna fisherman with somewhat deep pockets.  Are there any out of the ordinary tools that this reel requires?

Thanks, Steve

gstours

Thanks Keith for your comments.   investing in dedicated screwdrivers for these reels and a good battery screwdriver may be a shop approach to save some time.   Printing some schimatics in larger print may help.  A butane torch can add heat to break some corrosion screw issues.
  Be ready for typical corrosion problems if the reels havent had much or any maintenance,   this isnt your fault,  butt might be an issue eventually.   These reels are expencive and worth caring for.   The owner can also right off your costs so maybe go buy the hour at first?

retiredandfishing

A good butane torch might be a great addition to my tool set.  I would suspect there will be some corrosion problems to contend with.  The larger print schematic is also a good idea.  I have a work screen for my computer that is quite large, I may just blow up the image on that. The other tools I already have.  I think though I will upgrade my air compressor, it is quite old and noisy and I'd like more pressure from it.  Going by the hour I think is also a good idea, I may talk to him about that. Then when I get a better idea of the average labor per reel I can set up some per reel charge in the future.

Thanks, Steve

Hardy Boy

I have only worked on a few but as Keith said they are straight forward. I hope the screws are not seized .................. thats a game changer.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

alantani

the first one is going to take you several hours.  take your time, look around and get really familiar.  you want to get the service time down to about an hour or less.  you will be replacing alot of bearings.  figure out the sizes and start ordering.  do you have a bearing packer yet?  yeah, so much for retirement......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

You will need a cordless screwdriver. I recommend the Milwaukee M4. A Philips bit and #15 star drive bit.

Yamaha Marine grease and CorrosionX oil, ReelX oil, TSI 321 oil. Any one of these are fine.

A tub of Cal's grease.

Those models should have open bearings so they will be easy to clean.

A 14mm wrench to remove the handle nut.

Make sure to remove the plastic cover holding the drag lever stops so you can grease underneath.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

retiredandfishing

Have the tools as everyone has suggested and the Cal's grease as well.  The butane torch is the only thing I don't have.  Hopefully I won't need that just yet. Was strange.  While I'm waiting for delivery of my first reel from the customer per our agreement.  A 2nd customer came in with 3 of the same reel for servicing. So I started in on one his first.  Going well, all the help and the old posts have really helped and prepared me for this reel. I have the left side plate off and am servicing the reel per Alan's old post, which has made it pretty easy.  Will get in to the right side tomorrow.

Steve

handi2

Quote from: retiredandfishing on January 08, 2022, 11:21:45 PM
Have the tools as everyone has suggested and the Cal's grease as well.  The butane torch is the only thing I don't have.  Hopefully I won't need that just yet. Was strange.  While I'm waiting for delivery of my first reel from the customer per our agreement.  A 2nd customer came in with 3 of the same reel for servicing. So I started in on one his first.  Going well, all the help and the old posts have really helped and prepared me for this reel. I have the left side plate off and am servicing the reel per Alan's old post, which has made it pretty easy.  Will get in to the right side tomorrow.

Steve

Steve when I get into the spool turn it on its end with the drag side down. Push down slightly to relieve stress on the cross pin on the ratchet side of the spool. Now lay the spool down and use a philips head screwdriver to push on the center of the spool shaft. The bellville spring washers will go on to the screwdriver in the correct order.

Do not remove the screws out of the drag plate or ratchet plate. They have Loctite on them. Make sure they are tight. If they are loose remove them and use blue Loctite.

I've had a few come in that were locked up because the ratchet plate came loose.

Notice the orientation of gears.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

josa1

Here is a nice video that provides a good look at the insides of the Tiagra series.

josa1

handi2

Good for seeing the insides but a terrible tutorial!!
Gulf Breeze, FL

UKChris1

The spring in the handle that sorts out the gear change button is a little bugger - flies across the room, gets lost in the carpet and then won't go back where it belongs.  >:(

Would hate to have to do seventy!

But great reels...