Makaira skipping

Started by skneip49, January 17, 2022, 07:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skneip49

Don't know how prevalent it is, but I had a skipping problem develop in my 16SEa. In gear, turning the handle under load, it would just skip and grab. Had it serviced at Ken's in Oceanside, he showed me the part he had replaced. Like a tiny piece of square bar stock is how I would describe it. Fits between the gears and is, I think, spring driven as it engages the slot in the gear. Too soft, a little bit of wear and it needs replacement. Any experience with this?

alantani

yeah, it was most common with the makaira 20.  interestingly, the penn 20 visx had the same issue.  never had a problem with the mak 50 or the visx 50.  and this is the first time that i have heard of the mak 16 having this issue. you have to get the top and bottom springs in perfect balance.

which reminds me, i have a mak 20 that i need to send in to get looked at.  the makaira has a 5 year warranty. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

skneip49

Thanks. I didn't recall purchase date so went to Ken's for service. Shipping and insurance for me, (as I live on the frontier;) ) is probably more than what I paid Ken. How prevalent is this, and should we be keeping these reels or replacing them?

alantani

i've only seen a few.  keep them.  they're good reels!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

Steve, I didn't know you were over here too. I saw the post you made on BD on this.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

skneip49

OK, Alan. I'll keep it but if it fails again, I'm sending it to you. You can fix it, sell it and send me the $$$$! LOL

Mark, oh yeah, since I heard Alan had established this. A great resource, not so many opinions as facts from reel guys...