Penn 9/0 Spool Rub

Started by littlcor, January 22, 2022, 11:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlcor

I've combed over tons of posts and taken this reel apart many times, but I can't seem to narrow this issue down.

I was trolling slowly when my lure must have caught a rock in too shallow of water.  I thought it was a fish at first and I pulled about 100 yards of line until I stopped.  The reel didn't work right after that so I hand lined it back in.

I disassembled and lubed the reel and noticed nothing wrong.  I reassembled the reel and noticed the spool was binding.  That's when I learned that you can get a warped spool.  I was assuming that was my problem, but the thing just spins so nice in freespool that it doesn't seem likely.  I took this video to show that the spool works like a dream until you put tension in one direction (the same direction as you line would spool out).

https://youtube.com/shorts/OaJ9rWVfr5s?feature=share

Any suggestions on what to try?

Bearings feel smooth and I mess with the spool aligner and have no better results.

Gfish

No expert. But I'd try a delrin shim in the bottom of the ball-bearing cup on the gear side. This might push the spool towards the tail-plate side enough to eliminate the rub. Looks like the rings on the gear side-plate are pushed out a bit near the top of the side-plate, which is common with older Penn's, due to Bakelite swelling, but this usually isn't a problem. Can you tighten the screws anymore on that side?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

littlcor

I've read about that shim strategy, but I couldn't understand where to place it until your description, thank you!

I'll give tightening a go first and then I'll attempt the shim.  Thanks for your help!

foakes

Welcome aboard, Cory!

You have an aluminum spool — which is hard to tweak or damage — sometimes the end axles will bend — however, since it spins so well, I doubt the spool is your issue.

One thing that stock 9/0's are known for — under pressure or a snag while trolling — the stock stand is a little weak for the reel.  It will tweak, twist, or bend enough to cause a slight rub of the spool against the inner rings.

Posts are likely OK.

Fix is just a new stand.  A Test can be done by installing another stand if you have one — or a couple of posts in place of the stand for test purposes.

Another fix is a one piece frame.

These reels have rod brace lugs — and if the braces were not in place tightly — likely your stand tweaked.

There are other possibles — but from your description — this is the first place I would look.

These are large, heavy reels — for the stock stand without bracing.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

when you have a spool rub like that, i usually recommend changing out the bushings or bearings first.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

Yeah, welcome to the site Cory.
I recently had this issue with 2-Small Penn conventional's. But they had plastic (Bakelite?) spools. Don't recommend this on an aluminum spool, but I filed  the edges down a bit and problem solved. They were fine, until I rebuilt them—??? Don't know what I did.
Never thought of replacing the stand, sounds like a good possibility from an expert—Fred. I do gotta 130 Sailfisher with intermittent rubbing maybe that would be a fix.
Just to see if it helps, you could use some plastic from a milk container 'er somethin, in place of the delrin for a test.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

akfish

I have to agree it's the stand. The aluminum spools are pretty much bullet proof so it is very likely still round. If it still spins well, I doubt it's the bearings -- but they would be the easiest to check and could be bad. Good luck.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

RowdyW

If you need a shim under the bearing I usually cut one from a beer or soda can.       Rudy

littlcor

Woah, lots of responses really fast.  Thanks everyone!

Base Plate - Great suggestion, and I was also running the reel without the "U-clamp" installed, so it was only held onto the pole by the pole's sliding plate.  I'm not sure if this could eliminate that as the issue, but I uninstalled the plate and had the same symptoms.

Beer Can Shim - Thanks for the excuse to drink a beer at noon.  I installed one shim and it didn't seem to change much, is it worth adding more?

Bearings - They don't seem to have any issues, but is there something I could do to have a better test than just spinning them with my finger and/or a small tool?  

I took another video that shows the rubbing after I removed the base plate and installed the beer can shim.  Spins like a dream until I "balance" the spool with the adjuster, then it bites.

I've got a 2-week turnaround on ordering parts, it's looking like I should either order a bearing set (or right side only?) and if that doesn't work, possibly remove some material?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/d0OA7ZWo85g

RowdyW

Waaaaay to much side play. It should be only about .0025 to .005 inches.

littlcor

Quote from: RowdyW on January 23, 2022, 05:07:30 AM
Waaaaay to much side play. It should be only about .0025 to .005 inches.

Yes sir! When I attempt to achieve less side play, the spool is pushed further to the right, which causes the spool to rub and eventually bind on the right side.  I was leaving it loose just to demonstrate the difference in spool rub when you position the spool further left vs to the right.

RowdyW

If the spool is off center (to far to the right) when side adjustment is correct then you will probably need more shimming under the bearing, a new bearing, or both.

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on January 23, 2022, 12:16:24 AM
I recently had this issue with 2-Small Penn conventional's. But they had plastic (Bakelite?) spools. Don't recommend this on an aluminum spool, but I filed  the edges down a bit and problem solved. They were fine, until I rebuilt them—??? Don't know what I did.

G's issue is a bit different from the poster's issue, since the poster's issue started while fishing and G's issue started after only rebuilding the reel. Rubbing spools are a very common occurrence after reassembly. I've lost count of how many times I've dealt with this. I believe it has more to do with the rings than the other parts. They can shift after reassembly...merely by how the posts and side plates are rejoined...just a few thousandths one way or the other and hello rub.
  IF you didn't replace any parts the rub has to be a realignment issue. The first thing to do is loosen the post screws...let the reel relax a bit...see if the rub stops. Try retightening in a different order. If you cleaned corrosion from the rings by a vinegar soak...check those rings for chrome lifted from the ring. I've seen little flakes of chrome stick up and create a spool rub!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oldmanjoe

The spool rim show that the ring is rubbing in the second video on the right side

In the first video were the most noise was the reel seat bolt banging around  , there was a point you can hear the clicking of the spool .

Open it up , Take pictures or video it,    more eyes to see it .          It wound not hurt you to polish the rings inner circumference  .

With bearing in hand put it on spool shaft and check it that way :   shaft fit , bearing side loads , up and down ball / race play .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

The fact it changes when you adj . the end bearing makes me tink the Spool Shaft is bent a bit on one end .

IF it ain't locking up under a real load and not binding up when Reeling in I would just Fish it as it will eventually wear in .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him