Rod Shrink Wrap

Started by jgp12000, January 23, 2022, 05:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

Have any of you rod building guys ever tried this stuff? I was considering it for some of my cork handled rods I keep on my dock? I normally use Penetrol
or Polyurethane. Any pros or cons of shrink wrap verses another product?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZHK3KT6/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFGNzY3V0JZV1VTU1UmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA5MDI2MDkzODdNQkE5TkZBRVVUJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4MDI1NTUzUUpHUDA4Mlo0NFVJJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsMiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Midway Tommy

My concern would be whether or not moisture could get inside the wrap. If it does, that would end up causing a lot of problems because the wrap would prevent thorough drying.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Swami805

Works great over cork tape or cord, never tried it on cork but should be ok
Do what you can with that you have where you are

jurelometer

Some fly rods come with the sleeve  already installed.  Hard to get good cork nowadays, so this covers it up.  Some folk like it better,  others say in hot weather it does not absorb sweat and feels  slimy.  If you are already coating the cork with urethane, the sweat absorption thing may not be an issue for you.

Can't speak  to the brand pointed to.  I have only used the golf grip style spiral wrap.  It was OK.  I like plain cork better.  Even bad plain cork.

-J

Swami805

I concur, I like the cork better even if it's not in great shape
Do what you can with that you have where you are

boon

I know a few fishermen that use it extensively, never had issues with it.

EDIT: They're either using it directly on large diameter blanks, or over EVA grips.

jgp12000

I also prefer cork as well, but the sun does a number on cork, I leave a number of poles on the dock for guests. I keep my good stuff in the shop out of the weather. The DQ 220 (excaliber) is in the golf cart at all times...

Breadfan

I use this stuff a lot on my surf rods and I have also put it over cork on a bass rod that the cork was already shoddy. I had nothing to loose and it sure does make it look better.

thorhammer

I use it a lot. For some extra grip on a bass rod, you might glue a couple of O-rings on the cork before you shrink over.  Very grippy. Try on a dowel or broom handle to see if you like it.

jgp12000

I ordered black, I also thought about sealing the ends with black RTV to protect the cork, this is a nice eagle claw rod, I am mounting the battle 3 on it I think it can handle the weather.

Jeri

We used to use it a lot on surf rods - straight onto the blank, a little contact adhesive before shrinking and seal the ends with some thread wraps up and onto the shrink sleeve, then resin. Works really well, and light. In wet applications, we used to make lots of small sections, about 1/8" width, put these on first at about 1" spacing, glue and shrink, then slide the main sleeve over the top - an awesome finish that really gave a tactile secure grip for both casting and fighting big fish.

Breadfan

Quote from: thorhammer on January 24, 2022, 02:29:13 PM
I use it a lot. For some extra grip on a bass rod, you might glue a couple of O-rings on the cork before you shrink over.  Very grippy. Try on a dowel or broom handle to see if you like it.

A great idea! I love to learn at least one new thing everyday!

Breadfan

Quote from: Jeri on January 24, 2022, 11:29:18 PM
We used to use it a lot on surf rods - straight onto the blank, a little contact adhesive before shrinking and seal the ends with some thread wraps up and onto the shrink sleeve, then resin. Works really well, and light. In wet applications, we used to make lots of small sections, about 1/8" width, put these on first at about 1" spacing, glue and shrink, then slide the main sleeve over the top - an awesome finish that really gave a tactile secure grip for both casting and fighting big fish.

Another great way! Thats two things I have learned today. I have been thinking a bunch of how to improve the shrink grip. Its easy, durable, and inexpensive to install. I have been putting the fiberglass drywall tape under mine with pretty good results, and it looks good too.

thorhammer

a simple piece of twine spiral or x-wrapped on the cork works really well too. just put a little glue on it so it wont shift.