BUTANE LIGHTERS

Started by jgp12000, January 31, 2022, 06:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

We frequent Sam's probably twice a month and last time I got a pack of the long Bic lighters they don't seem to work as well as they use to even when the window shows plenty of fuel ::) Last weekend I tried 4 different ones to start a burn pile, and could only get one to barely light, maxed out. I think plain matches are more dependable. Is there a better brand or I might have to spring for an old school refillable cigarette lighter?

Midway Tommy

Depends on where you're at but they have never worked very well when they're cold. Put them in your pocket or blow on them & they should light better.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

thorhammer

Those have  gone to crrrrrrraaaaappppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!

all of them seem to have gotten way more expensive recently tho.

boon

Get a little creme brulee torch, reliable and very good at getting things burning. You can also use it to heat stubbornly stuck reel components :)

RowdyW

Better yet, quit smoking.   ;D ;D      Rudy

philaroman

Quote from: jgp12000 on January 31, 2022, 06:23:48 PM
...or I might have to spring for an old school refillable cigarette lighter?

get pipe lighter -- flame coming out the side is better for everything, EXCEPT cigarettes

Quote from: boon on January 31, 2022, 07:36:39 PM
Get a little creme brulee torch, reliable and very good at getting things burning. You can also use it to heat stubbornly stuck reel components :)

a good windproof pipe lighter would be about same concept as a mini-torch...  big step down in size/power/price

foakes

We have a LP SS BBQ that attaches to our travel trailer.

Wife bought me a new Bic burner lighter from Home Depot — worked only one time — then useless.

We just used cheap wooden matches after that — but the ones at Wal-Mart were lousy.

So we bought a 10-Pack of 3-Stars wooden matches on Amazon.

They are Swedish Made — not Chinese.

And they flat out light and WORK effectively every time.

Inexpensive and solid value.

The safest way to light a propane device is with one match — the first time.  Otherwise, the LP builds up as you fumble around for a second, third, or fourth match — and can cause surprise eyebrow issues.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

have you guys ever tried a pile of kindling and 1 or two "match light" charcoal briquettes?   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jgp12000

Tommy I will try that next time, and Fred I learned long ago eyebrows are important. I was burning trash in a 55 gal drum and got too close at the wrong time wind was blowing, anywho, flames blew over me, and I just brushed my eyebrows off onto the ground, I looked like uncle Fester for awhile til they grew back...

Squidder Bidder

In my experience the most common issue with butane lighters is air bubbles in the system. You could trying to purge the fuel and refill, but if they're cheap lighters it would be more trouble than it is worth.

Bernzomatic makes a small Butane torch for $25-30 that will probably meet your needs. I keep one near the fireplace, another for outdoor cigar lighting, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/3-1-Butane-Micro-Torch/dp/B00OQS6IRG/ref=asc_df_B00OQS6IRG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309760780746&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14669327057306764095&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007295&hvtargid=pla-567963369827&psc=1

philaroman

wow, forget windproof pipe lighters
didn't know mini-torches got so cheap...  <$20

oc1

Quote from: Squidder Bidder on February 01, 2022, 12:19:06 AM
Bernzomatic makes a small Butane torch for $25-30 that will probably meet your needs. I keep one near the fireplace, another for outdoor cigar lighting, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/3-1-Butane-Micro-Torch/dp/B00OQS6IRG/ref=asc_df_B00OQS6IRG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309760780746&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14669327057306764095&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007295&hvtargid=pla-567963369827&psc=1

I have one of those but it broke before the butane could be used up.  A Zippo will work for most things and they seem to last forever.  Refill it from that can of VM&P naphta you have right there on the bench.

JasonGotaProblem

Personally I just keep a collection of Zippo lighters to throw backwards toward the trail of gasoline on the floor behind me, and never look back to make sure it landed accurately, or to watch the resulting explosion. Because I'm just too cool. I don't need to see that it worked, I just know.

And going back for the lighter would kill the coolness points, so I need that collection to be ready for the next one.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Keta

If you can find fuel bottles these work every time.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

wussero

I use a bbq refilable lighter. Seems to work well.  The other, I bought a torch at Lowes I use to braze jig rings for older irons.

The torch flame is definitely not going out until it runs out of fuel.  Every smoke shop /liquor store should have refilables.  Make sure the correct  nosil tip matches the female end of what you using