Problem MKII 80 Okuma Makaira

Started by samir, February 01, 2022, 09:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samir

Hello everyone, thank you for accepting me

I just bough a pair of these reels, silver edition, and one of them has a problem. The drag is inconstant at any strength, and with or without the click on, the reel when makes one turn then release the line, you can see the tip of the rod that release itself and then bend again when the drag is comes back.
I talked to the store, but they never encountered that, and we agreed that I could open it, as it is expensive to ship it back, I m based in senegal dakar, so it is more or less 500 bucks plus custom. If I can't fix it they will apply the warranty.

Any though?

I tried to add a video but it's from a iPhone, I have to convert it, will do later

We fish giant blue fin tuna and blue marlin, can't take any risk.

i tried to upload the video on JPEG, dent go through, i see a message that says it is full!!

Thank you

alantani

samir, welcome!

is there any possibility that you have braid that is slipping on the spool?  that would account for your observations.  to load the braid, i scrub the spool with a lightly greased toothbrush, then apply a double layer of flex wrap medical tape around the arbor, then wrap the line around the arbor 5-6 times, then finish off the connection with a 6 turn uni knot.  the line itself must be loaded under extreme tension  or it will dig in, lock up and break when you are fighting a big fish. 

but for now, let's see if the line is slipping on the spool!!! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

samir

Hello dear Alan, thank you very much for your advise, i can't tell but i will definitely check it.
i have 700 yards of 200 hollow braid that was installed by the store, with their machine, then 150 yards of 130 mono.
So far i don't see anything that could show what you are explaining, and it happens immediately immediately when the nylon goes out, but ill check, thank you very much

alantani

ask the shop if they used tape on the arbor of the spool.  it's an intermittent problem.  it matches. 

samir

i'll ask and revert back to you

thank's a lot for your time and knowledge

alantani

actually, when the line releases, do you hear a loud ratchet noise?  it could also be the cross pin that is slipping against the gear.  if the slipping is silent, then it is likely braid that is slipping on the spool.  if the slipping is lout and metallic, then it would be the cross pin.  could it be like this?  in high gear or low gear?

samir

Unfortunately not one or the other solution you said. Could it be a lack of grease on the drag plate ?

alantani

no, lack of grease would not be the problem.  a video would help.  possibly load upload it to youtube and post a link. 

samir

alantani

alantani

ok, got it!  the problem is not braid slipping on the spool and the reel s definitely not popping in and out of gear.  your guess is probably correct.  the drag washer is likely not properly greased.  my guess is this.  at low drag pressures, the drag dose skip a little.  however, if you set the drag to 40 pounds at strike and then pull, it should even out under that amount of pressure.  it should work fine on a fish.  use a scale and set the drag to 40 pounds (18kg) at strike, then pull and let's see if it's smooth.  i'll bet that it will be.  i think your reel is fine.   :-\

samir

Ok my dear
I'll try and let you know
If I hook a Giant Bluefin I'll let you know :)

alantani

you'll do fine.  how much drag are you using?

samir

25 to 50 pounds
Full drag at 70

But I tried many times with 40/50 pound it didn't change much

I'll try again tomorrow

Thank you my dear

samir

Hi Alan

What you asked me to worked !! Thank you my dear
I caught a 600 blue with the reel and closed the drag at 50 🤣🤣🤣

All good

Now, do I need to do something specific on the reel ?

Best regards