Best lube for roller guides ?

Started by Crow, February 05, 2022, 10:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

I just came up with two Senator roller guide rods (1st guide, and tip are rollers, center guides are "conventional'), and all the rollers are dry, and "stiff'....not corroded, or rusty, just "dry"enough that they don't turn easily. I took one apart, and buffed the parts a bit, but what's the best way to lube them? I'm thinking ,, maybe, some CorrosionX. Or, would grease be a better fit ?.............thanks !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

conchydong

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gfish

Yeah. So much for my thinking, I figured grease would be too viscous.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

UKChris1

I have seen advice to use WD40 (definitely not a good idea - doesn't lubricate and will dry and gum), various motor oils (doesn't last long and needs re-oiling often) and whatever grease you'd use in your reels.

I used to use Castro LM grease - worked fine - but more recently use Yamaha marine grease and Lucas marine grease. Any of these work well.
They might seem a bit viscous in the cold of the UK summer  :) but in the scorching heat of the tropics when the roller guides get too hot to touch, these greases don't run out so the rollers continue to roll.

thorhammer

Depending on vintage could be Aftco, but also tons of these were built using Stuarts. I have both. I use Penn Blue. I'd treat it sort of like your reel- C-X is great and fluid but may need more frequent re-spray if the rod is used a lot, vs. grease. The other point is that I try not to spray rollers if I can help it, to keep the oils / smell off the rollers and thus off the line. Grease inside the roller may be better about that. Main thing is keep something in there- just like a reel. I buy a lot of used rods that may have frozen rollers. First, a good degrease and vinegar soak, then maybe C-X or Liquid Wrench. If all else fails, heat with soldering iron an gently tap out with ice pick. Lube ice pick first so you can remove bushing easily afterwards.